+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Where do you’re kids do their homework?

My kids are in primary and haven’t really had much homework other than reading and online maths. DS is in high school next year and I’m wondering whether his desk should be in his room or out in the lounge room with us (computer out in lounge anyway). He’s easily distracted so I have reservations about his bedroom but lounge is open plan with kitchen/dining/tv so not ideal either. No spare rooms

Any suggestions from those with older kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD14 (in year 8) does hers in her room. She is easily distracted, but goes into her room, listens to music and gets it done. If she's out in the lounge room she is telling everyone to be quiet because they are distracting her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 grade5 doesn’t have much yet only a math sheet and his spelling words each week. Generally takes 30 mins at the most so he does it at the kitchen table on a Tuesday night. He has a desk in his new room which he’ll move into in the next few months when baby no 3 goes into his current room with ds2

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is in year 5 and brings a maths and spelling sheet home on Monday which needs to be handed in on the Friday. He does it on the Tues and Wed night at the dinner table while I'm making dinner therefore we are nearby if he has a question or needs help. He gets it done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    All ours do their homework the same time at the dining table. Our eldest is in grade 6, so if she's doing something particularly important where she needs to concentrate more, she goes to bedroom as she has a desk in there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I’ve got my teacher hat on and we always recommend students, young teens, to be using electronic devices out in the open, not in the bedroom. Parental monitoring and support is really important. TV should always be off during homework time.

Can the other kids have homework/quiet time at the same time?

Also, I always tell my students and parents that they must communicate to the teacher if homework takes too long as it could mean the work is too difficult or student wasted time (support can be provided) or the teacher set too much and they need to know.

Good luck.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Californication (07-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At the kitchen bench. Dd1 sometimes does it in her room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogis Mumma View Post
    I’ve got my teacher hat on and we always recommend students, young teens, to be using electronic devices out in the open, not in the bedroom. Parental monitoring and support is really important. TV should always be off during homework time.

Can the other kids have homework/quiet time at the same time?

Also, I always tell my students and parents that they must communicate to the teacher if homework takes too long as it could mean the work is too difficult or student wasted time (support can be provided) or the teacher set too much and they need to know.

Good luck.
    Thanks - all computer work is done in out in the open so the use of computers in bedroom isn't the issue. I don't know how much of his homework in year 7 won't need a computer to know whether or not it will b work that should be done in his bedroom or best for it all to be done out in the lounge room with us.

DD is 3yrs behind him in school so doesn't really get homework like I anticipate he will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mr year 3 does it at the dining room table. That way when he needs help I’m right there as I can prep dinner at the same time. He does have a desk in his room but it’s easier at the dining room table

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So far we have always done homework at the dining table, but my eldest (8.5) is starting to struggle with the other kids (7, 5, 2.5) distracting him while he tries to work. I'm in the same boat as you. 6 of us in a 3 bedroom house, no office, no spare room. I really need to organise a quiet homework space for him, and for my daughter soon too (though she's not as easily distracted as he is), but I have no idea how or where.