+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Cricket Australia sacked employee for having a termination !!!!

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/...29-p4zuar.html

The lady worked for Cricket Australia in essentially a government relations role. She lives in Tasmania, where although abortion is legal, their only clinic has just closed.... so she had to travel to Melbourne to have her termination.

She tweeted about her situation and argued that it was not good enough that she had to take time off work and go to Melbourne for a termination

She was heavily trolled, and someone sent a screenshot of the tweet to Cricket Australia ...

Cricket Australia were told by Tasmanian Government officials about her termination !!

I get that she is in a 'givernment relations and policy' position - but she is commenting not on sport, not on anything to do with her job but on social policy and responsibilities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sacked for having a termination or her tweets?

Not quite the same thing.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (30-07-2018),Mum-I-Am (30-07-2018),stacey10 (30-07-2018)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    sacked for her tweets ...

but the government disclosed her termination to her employer - and its only after that that they had a problem with the tweets

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two of the three tweets (28/5, 9/6 and 14/6) occurred after the meeting (7/6) where her personal situation was supposedly discussed and allegedly passed on to the employer. So of course they only objected after that - how could they have done so before that disclosure when they hadn’t happened yet??

In regards to this disclosure this article only vaguely mentions that ‘it is understood’.... gee. That’s convincing. The gov’t denies it and the employer can’t comment as its being investigated. Convenient. If it was inappropriately disclosed and used then Fair Work investigations will back that up.

What is your involvement here that makes you so desperate to infer the worst, when the reasons actually stated in the letter warrant the dismissal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I found nothing in her tweets offensive? I understand every company has a social media policy. But this merely stated an opinion about something that is legal. I find it concerning someone’s personal circumstances have cost them a job.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel (30-07-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    sacked for her tweets ...

but the government disclosed her termination to her employer - and its only after that that they had a problem with the tweets
    Medical information should remain private and confidential. I'm gobsmacked by this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Wise Enough View Post
    I found nothing in her tweets offensive? I understand every company has a social media policy. But this merely stated an opinion about something that is legal. I find it concerning someone’s personal circumstances have cost them a job.
    Her entire role is to foster positive relations with the Tasmanian Government - I don’t see how starting a crusade publicly criticising them assists in that. I suspect that if someone was publicly calling you out as gutless, pathetic, irresponsible and generally ineffective you’d be feeling less than positive about working with them. She could have campaigned and lobbied for change without using insulting language against people she is meant to work closely with.

Generally speaking, whether or not you think it is warranted or how crap you think they are, it is prudent to not talk trash about your employer, colleagues, or key stakeholders (such as clients, suppliers or financiers) in a public forum if you don’t want it to affect your position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the real outcry should be that in this day and age women don’t have easy affordable access to healthcare.

Yes she probably breached her working contract but in the same position I would be shouting from the rooftops about the injustice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (30-07-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Her position is cricket related, not even the same department. Could she complain about the weather man getting it wrong? As the weather bureau is government. It wasn’t directly related to her job.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum (30-07-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let alone the sharing of the private information. You have no issue with that @SunandStars ?