+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Question about Maternity Leave

Hi all,

I just have a question in regards to maternity leave as I am not understanding the whole 12month period of work to be entitled for maternity leave pay.

My fiancé and I are thinking of trying for a baby late this year (November/December), we are getting married in November of 2020 and have just purchased a new home and I am so clucky 😂 but obviously want to give myself enough time to lose any baby weight and to also be able to still save for our wedding.

So my question is since I have only been in my job for 6 months currently , and 9-10 months if I was to fall pregnant when we planned would I be entitled to maternity leave as I would have been in the position for longer than 12 months at the time of birth? Or does it go off of when you fall pregnant?
    I always thought it was if you have been in the position for 12 months at the time of birth/ when you take/ begin your maternity leave. Am I right in assuming this?

Any answers or clarity anyone can give would be very helpful thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So in my job you only need to be permanent or part time for 6 months before you can get maternity leave. Didn't include casual contracts. I work in health in SA
    So if your job is 12months then it's not until you take maternity leave so not when you fall pregnant (hope that made sense)
    Some jobs are obviously different so I would contact HR or your payroll and find out what you employer does. you could also contact centerlink to find out what you can get from them.
    So I got 18 weeks paid from work and centerlink paid a following 18 weeks! all the best with the baby making ✨✨

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your reply!
    And for the clarification!

I am glad it’s when your maternity leave starts as I will be well over 12 months in the job by then!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no worries glad to be able to help.