ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First timer - birthing anxiety

Hi everyone,

I'm not a 'wuss' generally but this whole birthing thing has me anxious - it's the fear of the unknown coupled with everything I know about birthing being right up there on the pain scale.

What was something you found useful? Birthing classes/hypnobirthing or something else?

Thus far I'm scheduled for a 'regular' birth though I know it's unpredictable and have no qualms with a c section if it comes to that. I plan on using whatever pain relief is available and approvable at the time but it suppose I can't quite get my head around pushing over 3 kilos of baby out. I mean, being constipated is bad enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Highly recommend hypnobirth! And a doula if time permits.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

emilysmumma  (15-07-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd honestly try and not focus on the pain element so much.
    Our bodies are made to do this.

I personally didn't find the pain too bad & didn't feel I needed any pain relief.
    I found the pain from having my wisdom teeth out worse

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

Emma1217  (14-07-2018),Kazza78  (11-07-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I did a calm birth class. It was fabulous. I laboured for 12-14hrs in the shower with just 2 doses of morphine to get me through. It went super quickly (for me, not my DH ). It was helpful being able to just zone out. I then ended up with an epidural and emergency CS and all my calmbirth went out the window haha BUT up until that point it was super effective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m still ttc #1 so have no advice on this... BUT my cousin is a hypno-birthing practitioner and places a lot of faith in it. She has helped some friends of mine who have said it really helped.

Best wishes for a safe birthing journey x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know it’s easier said than done, but try not to focus on the pain. The more you focus on it, the worse it will seem. I’ve had two vaginal births with no drug pain relief. What helped me was going in with a range of “tools” that I knew I could try. So for me, I knew I had heat packs, my tens machine, the shower, the bath, then I could have moved on to gas, epi etc if I wanted. I just didn’t find it really got to that point for me. Remember contractions only last a minute at most and then you get a break. I also reminded myself that every contraction was one step closer to the end!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm  (11-07-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews

I chose to not call it pain, but tightening of tummy for 60 second batches.
    I also chose to not make noise during labour .
    I was very surprised that it was a lot less painful than I imagined. I had a 10 hour labour at home, then arrived at hospital fully dilated.
    Pushing for me took the hard tummy tightening away completely (natural pain relief)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was so terrified of giving birth that I saw a kinesiologist to rid me of any subconscious fear I was holding onto. It worked - I ended up having a c section but was so calm that day. I've got friends who swear by hypnobirthing. Just know that if the pain gets too much there are options for relief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Contractions are difficult to describe but they are like no other!
    it's more of an uncomfortable tightening that seems to last forever sometimes.
    I didn't find the pushing of baby out painful.
    3 babies and 3 completely different experiences.
    What I do recommend though is to ensure you are not constipated in the weeks leading up to your due date, I had horrendous constipation when pregnant with my 1st and my ob advised me to have an enema, was so glad I did. I think labouring and being constipated would have been shocking.

Thanks
    Reviews

Honestly without any drugs it hurts like hell. I’m in disbelief if I hear anything different lol Just take the drugs and it might not be as bad. If I got pregnant again which I don’t plan on ever doing again I’d have to get over my hang ups about the drugs and just take them I think. Good luck hopefully your experience will be as positive as it gets

I will add that my two pregnancies were different in regards to pain both drug free, first one the contractions I could manage without making a sound but the delivery was burning and painful, the second one the contractions were unbearably painful I was hanging on for dear life but the delivery wasn’t painful it actually felt good which I don’t understand especially since the first one wasn’t, so they were opposite, one way or another you will experience some sort of discomfort and pain. Contractions are pretty hard to explain, kind of like a really bad period pain cramping times a trillion.
    Last edited by MuMtORiLeYandLeO; 11-07-2018 at 18:38.