+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Using mum as a dummy

Help i have a 5month old baby girl who uses me as a dummy to go to sleep, I have tried to get her to take a dummy but she won't, any suggestions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jlk

what exactly do you mean? Is she breastfeeding to sleep? If so that's pretty normal. What exactly is bothering you about it? is she slipping on and off a lot?
    maybe if she's not interested in the dummy then perhaps she's still hungry?

Personally, unless it's driving you mad or giving you pain, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    After all, dummy's are imitation breasts, not the other way round!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breast to fall asleep

Hi Jlk,

My little girl Zoe used to do that the only way I stopped it was a bit of gentle controlled crying I started at four and half months. When she was tired and would normally go to sleep on the breast I would put her down. It took about 4 days I think of cry for 5 minutes go in pat pat settle eventually extending the time you go in. The first few days were a bit teary for me but worth it in the long run she is a great sleeper now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I love watching my baby as he falls asleep while he is feeding. He looks so happy and secure. They only stay little for such a short time. I don't see anything wrong with this - its natural.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi JLK

I can understand how you feel. My dd was so good at settling herself but once she hit 4- 5 months she didn't want to anymore. I think with her growth spurts and new teeth she just wants to eat that bit more and snuggle with Mum.

There are some days I love it, I sit in her room and read a book until shes settled and asleep. Other days I am so tired and have fallen asleep with her or I just need my own space! On those days I've let her have a big feed and then slowly break her seal with my finger. This will tend to either wake her and she can be settled easily when I stand and pat her and she doses off again or if that doesnt work then she is actually still hungry so I feed her again.

For me its an easy way to tell if she has eaten enough. But in the long run Id rather have her dependent on me then a dummy. I just keep reminding myself its only for a short time.

If you're really desperate for tme out Ive handed my dd to my husband who puts her in a pouch, he then walks around with her until she falls asleep - easy for him because he doesnt smell like breast milk. It has worked a treat on occasions and again if it hasnt a great way for me to know she is still hungry.

I hope this makes sense, good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also wanted to say.. have you checked out Elizabeth Pantleys book/website the no cry sleep solution? she offers gentle ways to break a babies depandance on the boob for sleep...

http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/con...ooksummary.htm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My DD did the same thing and let me tell you did it wear me out some days!

Nobody would help me, doctors with their breast is best... why couldn't anyone help me, I would think at my witts end...

I had no choice really but to wait it out till she eventually took to the bottle at 10 months!

Do hope you can get some answers tho! Best of Luck!