+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hong Kong disney anyone been?

We will be in Hong Kong and are wondering if we should stay at disney for 2 nights? I've never really heard glowing reviews about it (long lines and horrible food) but people say that about Paris disney and we loved it. DD will be 3.5 at the time we go and is princess obsessed. I'm just a bit unsure we will have limited time in Hong Kong and also don't want to waste the money if its just not great

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been there and it was pretty much like the other disney parks. There was a great street parade, I was impressed with that. It is a bit of a day out in that you have to get the train there, It is on Lantau Island if my memory serves me. The food is of course chinese, but there is also the usual junk, like hotdogs, and fries. Lots of places for you spend your money. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    I have been there and it was pretty much like the other disney parks. There was a great street parade, I was impressed with that. It is a bit of a day out in that you have to get the train there, It is on Lantau Island if my memory serves me. The food is of course chinese, but there is also the usual junk, like hotdogs, and fries. Lots of places for you spend your money. marie.
    So you didn't leave feeling disappointed? You felt the "disney magic"? If we went we would stay at the Disney hotel and do the character breakfast. I also don't think they do the parade anymore, my travel agent is double checking but she said the day and light show were cancelled. This is probably what is making it a hard decision for us, disney Street parades are my favourite. Also we are arriving in Hong Kong after a 17 night cruise so I expect we'll all be a bit tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We’ve been. It’s tiny. Did all the rides and everything in 5 hours! We went in October and not many people around and hardly any lines. It’s clean and the parade was on the day we went. We caught the “Disney” train from Kowloon which was Disney themed and only 40 mins from the heart of Hong Kong (which you’d be better staying in than Disney itself).
    I’ve also been to Paris and Anaheim and thought that Hong Kong was ok for a very small version.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went with a 3 year old and a 1 year old. We went in October and It was really hot and humid. Staying at the Disney hotel was a life saver as it saved on travel time and we were able to cool off with a swim in the pool before and after our Disney adventures. I recommend heading to the 'classic rides' first thing in the morning as there's usually no line (Dumbo ride, spinning tea cups and toy story world). The 'small world' boat cruise was great in the middle of the day as it's air conditioned. The longest we had to line up was 30minutes.. not too bad I think! The princess costumes at the souvenir shops are amazing!!! If I had a girl I would have bought the lot. There were quite a few princesses walking around, and also characters from the Disney junior channel (like Sophia the princess) and they were constantly surrounded by adoring fans. The classic Disney characters are there too.
    The hotel definitely added to the Disney experience, my 3 year old loved it. Everything is Disney themed, the lifts, the garden, Mickey statues and floor tiles etc. When we visited, they were still doing the street parades (which were great during the day) and we actually got to see the fireworks show from our hotel room. Word of warning, food at the Disney hotel is expensive and very limited so pack alot of snacks and basics to save money. The price of park food was ok, what you'd expect at any themepark- they have a massive food hall with western and Chinese food. They also do Micky mouse themed meals for the kiddos). The buffet restaurant at the Disney hotel is great (albeit expensive) Mickey comes in every night in his chefs uniform to meet the kids and get photos.. ds1 loved it.
    So, whilst the food was expensive (at the Disney hotel) and the park is small..we weren't disappointed. You definitely get that magical Disney feel. But I should note, I haven't been to any other Disneylands so I have nothing to compare it with.
    In retrospect, Disneyland added a fair bit of extra cost to our trip but it was definitely the highlight. The rest of the trip was a lot of walking around and not that exciting for our kiddies.