+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default failure to reach blastocyct stage

i just wanted to seek some information. i had two failed cycles of ivf and in both of them one thing was common that we didn have any embryos to reach blastocyst stage. i m 29 and my husband is 34. we have been catogerized as unexplained infertility. dont have any prob with sperm either n i have regular cycles no problems at all.everything is looking good on paper.i will really appreciate if some can tell me if they had similar experience like mine. i an changing the FS as well. thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn’t have much luck either, our first cycle I got 5 eggs, only 2 fert and none made it to day 5 blast, and our third cycle I got 12 eggs, 5 fert of which one made it to day 5 blast but no others were suitable for freezing so they didn’t say how many others made it to day 5.
    My egg quality isn’t great, and I’ve had a lot of empty follicles at retrieval. For the few months after my first cycle I was religious about taking coq10 and my multi vitamin, I improved my diet considerably and I went to acupuncture. My third cycle was a different protocol, which definitely contributed to a better egg yield but it felt better to be doing something myself to help my chances even if it was purely placebo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I’m in a similar position. I have know PCOS which is why my egg quality is average.

The cycle we’ve just done we got 25 eggs, fertilised 14 and got 2 average blasts. This is very typical for us.

What investigations have you had done? Some FS will do the basics where as others will do lots of in-depth testing especially for your DH.

It’s also worth looking at where the issues occur after egg pick up.

If it’s fertilisation can you try ICSI? Otherwise where in the 5 days the embryo stops growing or deteriorates is a good indication of what may be the cause.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly I am so sorry to hear your embryos aren’t making it. This has become a recent party trick of mine so I know the feeling xx

If your embryos aren’t making it to blast then it’s either an egg quality issue, sperm issue or a bit of both.

Egg quality:
    - There’s loads of supplements you can take. My FS has me on 75mg DHEA (for 3 months before cycle), 5mg Melatonin (during stims), 600mg CoQ10 Ubiquinol, 1000iu Vitamin E, 1000mg fish oil, 40mg zinc (this one is important for embryo energy)
    - Stim protocol changes can also have a big impact on egg quality so worth discussing with your FS. Eg some women have better quality on Menopur or Luveris vs Gonal F or a combo (others will be opposite). Or an antagonist vs long down reg could make a difference. You could ask about trying human growth hormone as part of your protocol. It’s trial and error but changing protocol can make a difference to quality.
    - Diet. Lots of fruit, veg of course but I’ve also switched to a high protein diet before and during stims as protein is the key thing in eggs and we are trying to make great eggs! Target is >25% of daily nutrients being protein which I track using myfitnesspal. Can’t tell if it’s worked yet but I did get more eggs last cycle.

Sperm
    - if your embryos look good at day 3 but don’t make it to blast then sperm could be an issue (even if all the initial testing/analysis looked good). Apparently sperm quality has a big impact during day 3-5.
    - see if you can google Warren DeAmbrosis (Wazza) list of supplements for him. There’s a thread on bubhub for his patients that will have it. A lot of ladies have said this has done wonders for DH’s sperm (I use a sperm donor so have no control over this one!)

Embryoscope
    - this costs a little extra but constantly takes pictures of your embryos so the embryologist can learn a lot more about how your embryos develop and also means they don’t have to keep disrupting your embryos to see how they are going (embryos are very sensitive to the light/temperature/environment changes)

Day 3 transfers
    - Day 5 blasts are great at identifying the strongest embryos and do have a better chance of implantation. But I personally believe a lot of clinics are too obsessed by this holy grail. It makes their pregnancy stats better as they quote success per transfer. If you have multiple embryos and they make it to day 5 it totally makes sense to go to blast to identify the strongest. But if you only have one or two or they are consistently not reaching day 5 then why not transfer at day 3? At least then you are in with a chance and plenty of day 3 bubs running around. I personally believe that an embryo may have a better chance of making it in utero than in a Petri dish. I did my first day 3 transfer this cycle (I only had 1 embryo so didn’t see the point of waiting to day 5).

I hope you have better luck next round xx

R

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you so much for your replies @mumi am and risa78. we did icsi in our second cycle everything was fine till day 3 the prob started afterwards.i was on gonal and luveris in my second cycle. i dont know what to do i am seeing a new FS IN aug so hopefully we can get some answers. in the mean while hubby has started taking menevit and i m starting coq 10 i dont know what else to do.