+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How rapidly will my AMH decline? Is IUI or IVF best?

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting. I'm 32 and my AMH is low for my age at 8.2 pmol/l. No kids yet.

I fell pregnant after my 5th IUI but I sadly had a missed miscarriage at seven weeks. I'm now ready to try again but am unsure if I should continue with IUI or move to IVF.

IUI is more affordable but IVF might give me the chance to have more than one child before menopause hits (if I can bank some embryos). That said, my low AMH might not allow me to produce many eggs anyway.

Is my AMH likely to decline much over the next few years? Is having two children a possibility?

There are so many things to consider. What are your experiences and what would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by aesh View Post
    Hi everyone. This is my first time posting. I'm 32 and my AMH is low for my age at 8.2 pmol/l. No kids yet.

I fell pregnant after my 5th IUI but I sadly had a missed miscarriage at seven weeks. I'm now ready to try again but am unsure if I should continue with IUI or move to IVF.

IUI is more affordable but IVF might give me the chance to have more than one child before menopause hits (if I can bank some embryos). That said, my low AMH might not allow me to produce many eggs anyway.

Is my AMH likely to decline much over the next few years? Is having two children a possibility?

There are so many things to consider. What are your experiences and what would you do?
    My AMH was 6.2 when I was 29, and now at 32 it has actually gone up to 9.2 after my baby. My doctor said the pregnancy and breastfeeding would have helped to calm down my endo and improve my egg count so that could be why.

I personally decided to go straight to IVF. The trouble is there is no way of knowing how quickly or slowly your AMH will decrease (or increase in my case!). If you have low AMH the chances are you won't get a whole lot of eggs ( I got 3 eggs first round, only 1 suitable for transfer, then 4 eggs the 2nd round, 2 suitable for transfer. None suitable for freezing). So I personally couldnt bank embryos even if I wanted to, but luckily I fell pregnant with my son on the 2nd round.

Your Amh is a bit higher and I have endometriosis too so your results may be different to mine. I just personally would prefer to do IVF than risk wasting time with IUIs that haven't been working. What is your doctor recommending? Try to go to a low cost/bulk bill IVF clinic if cost is a concern! You may have reached the safety net with your IUIs so it may not be as much as you think. My first cycle was $1500 out of pocket, but after I reached safety net my 2nd cycle was only $500 out of pocket.
    Last edited by amywillo86; 17-07-2018 at 15:44.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amywillo86 For This Useful Post:

aesh (30-07-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At 31 my AMH was 11. At 33 it was 7. At 35 it was 5.

My sisters were also tested and the results were actually linear with our age, and I’ve followed that line pretty much exactly.

I would go straight to IVF. 5 IUI attempts are still a lot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

aesh (30-07-2018)