ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Braces and other orthodontic treatment

**Update on 2nd page**

My son is 8.5ys and has problems with his jaw / teeth. Jaw is very narrow up top and 2 front teeth are a little spaced apart and crooked.
    He had some scans, moulds and x-rays performed last week.
    Chances are he’ll need work in the future. He has a few baby teeth left (molars) but main front teeth are adult.
    I’m meeting with dentist soon to discuss what needs to be done seeing that he still had baby teeth and back wisdom need to come out when he’s older.
    I just feel that 8.5/9yrs is too young to have work done.
    Please offer some advice I don’t want to spend $$$ and put my son through pain if we can wait a few more years.
    Thanks x
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 22-07-2018 at 19:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The orthodontist my DD went to liked to fit them with braces just as they were going through their teenage growth spurt. He felt it was more effective and treatment was shorter.

He monitored DD's growth (ie he measured her) and then fitted the braces when he felt she was about to grow. From memory she got the braces in year 5 and they came off in year 7.

I was worried that she was too young, but it worked out ok in the end.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Braces and other orthodontic treatment

DS had an expander plate but was a bit younger when we started with it - maybe 6yo. We had a removable one but he wore it religiously and it expanded his top jaw and pulled his front teeth kind of out and across and down with it - he has awesome front teeth now but may need braces as his bottom haven't come in straight. If this is an option you need to get in quick as they start to lose the ability to expand them with a plate as they get older. We chose a removable one so we could take it out to turn as we didn't like the idea of having a key on a string that we could potentially drop down his throat

ETA: I think it was about $2000 which covered the plate and unlimited check ups - we got some back on private health but don't think it was much.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 14-05-2018 at 19:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Was the expander plate painful??
    Omg.
    I feel sick at the thought of the key dropping down!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is going to be difficult for my son, he has high functioning autism :-(
    He’ll hate having that in his mouth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It bothered him for the first day or so and his speech was a bit lispy for a while but truly he didn’t complain much. The first night after expanding it each week often resulted in whinging but he still wore it.

Yes the key dropping bit turned us off a fixed plate but it can be more effective in more serious cases. DS is very sensitive and a little quirky and I felt the smoothness of the roof of the removable plate would be more tolerable than the steel in the fixed plate.

Are you in Melbourne? Our ortho is brilliant, doesn’t like intervention unless necessary. My friends son just had three teeth pulled to prep him for braces whereas ours is happy to wait and let nature take its course

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Hi there.
    Dd2 has high functioning autism too. She has had the works and jerks with the orthodontist.

She had a large overbite with a narrow upper jaw.

We have been doing treatments for 8 years now. With breaks in between for growth.

We started with double plates. We went through quite a few. Eventually we had a extender plates. Than operation where they cut the upper jaw around the front and split the palate and attached a extended to the teeth. We than had to expand the jaw itself with a tool twice a day. After that we have done 1 and 1/2 years of braces. With a few more months to go before the next operation. Its removing the top and bottom jaws twisted them downwards and add extra metal plates in. Finish with a few more months of braces.

Sorry I can't help with cost as it all been done by the public orthodontics clinic.

Feel free to ask anything.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (14-05-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    It bothered him for the first day or so and his speech was a bit lispy for a while but truly he didn’t complain much. The first night after expanding it each week often resulted in whinging but he still wore it.

Yes the key dropping bit turned us off a fixed plate but it can be more effective in more serious cases. DS is very sensitive and a little quirky and I felt the smoothness of the roof of the removable plate would be more tolerable than the steel in the fixed plate.

Are you in Melbourne? Our ortho is brilliant, doesn’t like intervention unless necessary. My friends son just had three teeth pulled to prep him for braces whereas ours is happy to wait and let nature take its course
    Yes I’m in Melb, would you be able to PM me their details? Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Yes I’m in Melb, would you be able to PM me their details? Thanks x
    Done

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (14-05-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump