+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fresh v frozen embryos - your experiences?!

Hello everyone,

I'd really like to get your experiences on fresh v frozen embryo transfers. What worked for you? What was easier on your body/mind? If you did frozen did you do PGS?

We've just started our second IVF cycle (the first cycle we had a 5 day embryo transferred fresh which resulted in BFN and another 5 day embryo frozen which we haven't transferred yet).

We are debating whether to do a fresh transfer this cycle or do a freeze all, we are leaning towards a freeze all for the following reasons:

1) I've read they can have slightly higher success rates.
    2) I've heard it's easier on your body.
    3) It gives us the option of potentially doing another stim cycle and "banking" our young-ish embryos (I'm 30, my husband is 35).

Our issue is male factor infertility, my husband has an extremely low sperm count so IVF with ICSI is our only chance.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had to have freeze all cycle due to OHSS, we got 5 frozen embryos. My clinic also said they have a slightly higher success rate with FETs. I had to wait a couple of months to let things settle then have medicated transfer cycle (FSH injections + pregnyl trigger and support) as I don’t ovulate naturally but it was my 7th medicated cycle and probably easiest. The FET was successful and my daughter is now almost 3.
    Interestingly I had 3x3 day embryos frozen and 2x5 days. My clinic suggested thawing all 3 x 3 days for the transfer and growing them up to 5 days and transferring the best then re-freezing the remainder. They said that they also get a slightly higher success with this method which they think is something to do with interruption then recommencement of the growth cycle. If none of the 3 dayers were good enough they said they could immediately get a day 5 out to transfer so it was low risk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

chaitea (04-04-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I cannot comment on Fresh as I was at risk of OHSS and couldn’t do a fresh transfer ....i had a freeze all ( 11 were frozen ) ..i had to wait 3 months till my hormones were all good and completed my first FET ...got preg first go have DD now ....I have done ALOT of research and hands down FET more successful in my opinion ....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TimewillTell For This Useful Post:

chaitea (04-04-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I’ve had 2 fresh and 2 frozen transfers.
    DD (nearly 4) was fresh, DS (18m) was frozen. They are both from the same batch of embryos.
    I found the FET much easier physically and emotionally, but that also may be because the pressure was off so to speak - when we tried for DS we already had DD and had discussed that we would be happy with just 1 child if the FET didn’t work.
    Although I’m glad we did a fresh transfer as DD wasn’t actually good enough to freeze! They put the “worst” embryo in when they do a fresh cycle and freeze the really good ones.
    In your case I would be doing a fresh transfer. What have you got to lose? Unless you are at risk of OHSS or need to do PGD testing why wouldn’t you do a fresh transfer? Your body is all ready to go!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

chaitea (04-04-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had success with both and failure with both but we lost quite a few frozen embryo's along our journey that didn't survive the thaw. I also think that sometimes your body needs a rest between the egg collection and the transfer.
    Over a 6 year period we had 3 egg collections and whilst we didn't have a lot of eggs retrieved per cycle a majority of the eggs that were, were great quality so who really knows why some didn't thaw well.
    Cycle 1 - Fresh embryo transferred and wasn't successful
    Waited 2 months and had a frozen transfer resulting in DS1
    We had 3 remaining embryo's from that cycle that didn't survive the thaw
    Cycle 2 - I over stimulated but had a transfer anyway which resulted in DS2
    2 remaining embryo's didn't survive the thaw.
    Cycle 3 (our final try for a third baby) - Only 2 eggs made it to blast and a fresh transfer having those 2 transferred resulted in DS3

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

chaitea (04-04-2018)