+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Post natal hair loss

Hi,
    I’ve got a nearly 4 month old baby and I’m dealing with some serious post natal hair loss. I’ve always had thick hair and usually lose a lot, but lost hardly any while pregnant, so I understand that I’m now making up for that. It’s not just the quantity of hair that I’m losing that’s bothering me, Its that I’m dealing with some proper bald patches at my temples. Actual receding hairline. I just looked at a photo from this morning and I didn’t realise till looking at it just how bad it was.
    I’m starting to get ready worried about how bad it will get before starting to get better.
    Has anyone dealt with a similar issue and have any advice for me?
    Do you think my GP would be able to do anything or would they just tell me to wait it out and it will improve on it’s own???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I lost a bit around that mark but my friend lost huge amounts after both of her babies and had the temple bald spots. It eventually stopped falling and grew back fine both times. In the meantime she wore a lot of headbands to cover it.
    I don’t know if there is much you can do as it’s a process that needs to happen iykwim? You generally shed less hair while pregnant and then shed massively after. My hairdresser suggested using nioxin products if mine got worse but no idea if it actually works for postnatal hair loss as I didn’t use it and it was quite pricey. Worth looking into maybe?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine (20-03-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I’m going to my hairdresser in a few days. I’ll ask about the nioxin products.
    I sense there will be a few hairbands in my future too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It’s something they never mention and I seriously panicked after my first when clumps of hair starting coming out - as you said around the 4 month mark.
    I’m fortunate to have super thick hair so it didn’t really show about from so many feathery/fuzzy bits on my hairline. My god there was hair everywhere- the shower, the carpet, on my clothes.
    I can’t recall how long it went for but had it with both kids and believe it’s quite common.
    Hope your hairdresser can help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never noticed any hair loss until DS3 came along. It wasn't bad though and is fine now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know the hair loss part is common- but the bald patches part, is that common too??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm 10 months post partum and my significant hair loss started at the typical 4 month mark. It's come out in distressing amounts and I'm sporting spikey tufts around my hairline. I just wish it would stop now. I'm surprised there's enough to cover my head! It's been way more prolific than with my first born. I completely feel for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i had the same after ds, started around the 3-4 month mark and lasted probably another 3 or 4 months? it’s scary as you don’t know how long it’ll last and how bad it’ll get. i have a natural widows peak hairline and the temples got really thin and receded back. i used to have a fringe til i noticed bald patches of skin poking through at the temples and freaked out.

it stopped after a while but the growing back phase is brutal too. took bloody ages to grow back properly.

i have fine hair and a bit of it, not heaps but i’m not so thin on top that you can see scalp. anyway if it’s any consolation, i almost feel now that my hair is thicker than it was before i had ds. but that could just be me doing things differently than anything hormonal related.

sadly pp hair loss is really common. hang in there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up with bald temples and receding hairline after all 4 of my babies. My babes are all close together so it had only just started to grow back each time before losing it again. I've still got so much fluffy baby hair bits and I had my last baby 2.5 years ago. I'm not sure my hair will ever look nice again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just in case someone else reads this - I saw my gp about this. She has me on a daily protein drink and after a blood test a zinc supplement. Pregnancy and breastfeeding really take it out on your body

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kel00 For This Useful Post:

Kazza78 (29-03-2018),Maxdreamer (28-03-2018)