+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Help my Bubba with Bowel Movements

Hi All,

My DD is 4 wks old tomoz, but has not done any poo's for a 4-5 days now, she is BF & FF (1 per day) & i am aware this is normal.

But I can see she is in alot of discomfort & screaming in pain & letting off farts that smell the same as her poo would!! She has only been farting since she hasnt done a poo, somehow I think this is linked.

I have tried.

-Warm Bath
    -A little bit of boiled water with 1/2 TS of Brown Sugar.
    -Massaging her tummy with Baby oil
    -Letting her hang loose without a nappy

None of the above have worked, i wldnt mind so much if she wasnt in pain but I can see the discomfort in her, she is rather un-settleled.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by lg084; 19-12-2006 at 10:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Might be best to head off to the doctors to see if they have any suggestions.

The only thing I can think of that worked with my bub is diluted prune juice, but my DD is alot older than your bub.

Hope you find something soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think - but I'm not 100% sure - that you can get a suppository of glycerine from the chemist. A mum in my mother's group used this once for her baby girl.

For my two though I have always bicycled their legs when they looked like they were struggling.

Hope you find something that works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When MJ was that age she used to go 10 days without doing a poo. Not sure about with the formula but its completely normal for a bf bub to not go every day

Thanks
    Reviews
    rainbowbrite

yeah i know its normal, but she in pain

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lg084 View Post
    rainbowbrite

its not normal if she's in pain.

i used to boil some prunes, only about 3 or 4, in some water, then use that water, dilute it further with boiled water and give it to bub once its cooled down. have to be careful with the amounts (ie proportion of water to prune water) because it could then go the other way.

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lg084 View Post
    rainbowbrite

Poor bubby

I would take bub to a dr or the clinic. At 4 weeks there is no way i'd give bub anything other than bm.

Just remembered though, MJ used to pass alot of wind that would clear a room with the smell. I could always hear her tummy rumble when she was going to do a poo.

As i've said though, if your worried take her to a dr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried Coloxyl (sp?). You can get it from the chemist. Just add a few drops to your formula or boiled water.

It worked a treat for DD#2. She would go (i'm not kidding) 20 days without doing a poo. I went to dr's and he said she was perfectly healthy. She wasn't in any pain, but her farts did smell pretty bad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Parraffin oil. A teaspoon in a bottle and guaranteed bubby will have a good system clean out the next day. My pead suggested this with DD2 when she always got constipated, and we did it with dd3 (however not often because she rarely got constipated).

It comes in a bottle over the counter from the chemist. Ask the Dr advise, but it does work a treat. Totally harmless to babies it just softens what ever is in the bowels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Coloxyl infant drops, you can get them at the chemist and they work like a treat. DD was very constipated at around 3 weeks and dr suggested to mash up prunes or give her the coloxyl. Good luck!