+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All is pretty good here. Settled into the new school term well. DD is getting tired though! Kids start before/after school care tomorrow as I’ll be at work 2 days a week. DD seems ok with it in theory so hopefully she’ll enjoy it. Much easier coming into the warm weather as I’m sure they’ll just play outside.

How are things with you guys?

White Mage is offline Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    All is pretty good here. Settled into the new school term well. DD is getting tired though! Kids start before/after school care tomorrow as I’ll be at work 2 days a week. DD seems ok with it in theory so hopefully she’ll enjoy it. Much easier coming into the warm weather as I’m sure they’ll just play outside.

How are things with you guys?
    DS1 is doing alright so far, been a bit reluctant some mornings to go to school. Becoming quiet the moody little poo, but I think it has a lot to do with the age, aaaaand he got his first ever pimple over the holidays, so hormones have started to spark.
    DS2 is going through something concerning toilet time. We are thinking he might be a bit constipated, so tomorrow he is going for an xray, its not going to be fun, at all.

Otherwise, NDIA called and we are about to enter review meetings for the 3rd year running, I am so unprepared this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ,
    I am new to this community and forum. My son is 4 yr old and is diagnosed with ASD. We are planning to start his school next year but already have lot of arguments with the schools , daycare etc. It is so disappointing to have to fight for getting an opportunity for my son for education. Just looking for some friends and support group as i am at a very low point and depressed. It’s taking a toll on our family relationship as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi @Greycloud.
    I don’t post much in this thread but just wanted to send you a hug.
    I have 6 kids, 4 living with me. 3 with diagnosed asd and a 5 year old girl who I’m sure will get a diagnosis next year.
    One with adhd diagnosis for now.
    I’m a single mum and can relate to the strain unfortunately. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hi and welcome @Greycloud.

We’re a small but supportive bunch here - a good place to vent and get advice.

Having an ASD child start school is incredibly daunting huh? Is your little one starting in a mainstream school/class, or in a more supported setting? My DS is 8 years old and he started in a support class but transitioned to a mainstream class last year. Most of us have school aged kids if you have any questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    Thank you very much! Its nice to see support when you need it most! Where are you from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    Yes , I ‘m. Planning to send him to the mainstream school to start with and see how he goes.but not sure if it’s a good idea. All the schools i contacted so far are gatekeeping and forcing us to go to special school. I dont mind sending him there but these schools are far from my place and it will be inconvenient at this stage.
    Thanks for your kind words and let me know where you are from . I’m from MELBOUNRE btw.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sajimum - I know my boy loves before and after school care here. They have quite rigid schedule and the staff are absolutely amazing. He got upset when I reduced his days down!
    White mage - not doing a lot is THE BEST! I've been watching the Korean good Dr on Netflix lately and just being a comatosed lump on the couch. In my case it's simply cause I'm 11 weeks up the duff and we're not telling ds yet as he has had huge issues with grief and loss. We want to wait until we have harmony results etc cause I don't want to knowingly being another special needs child into our family. If it happens by chance, ok, but I can't do it knowingly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome grey cloud - I'm up in Brisbane and it's really hard to get into special school. Unless you're cold is assessed as having significant mental delay /impairment, you can't get in. It's a horrible grey area for kids that are clever, but just can't cope with school. Hopefully your little one gets the right support at school to blossom though. A good OT can really help them to transition too.

As for me - DS has now been on sertraline for a month and it was honestly the best decision ever. He appreciated so much that his brains resting state is calmer, and he can actually feel the different zones. Before he was always busy, the only variation was how busy. We can all attest it's hard to differentiate between rip your hair out stress vs bite your nails stress lol.
    He's back at school and loving it, and hopefully in another 2-3 days I'll be able to tell him we're pregnant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Greycloud View Post
    Hi,
    Yes , I ‘m. Planning to send him to the mainstream school to start with and see how he goes.but not sure if it’s a good idea. All the schools i contacted so far are gatekeeping and forcing us to go to special school. I dont mind sending him there but these schools are far from my place and it will be inconvenient at this stage.
    Thanks for your kind words and let me know where you are from . I’m from MELBOUNRE btw.
    I’m in NSW (Hunter Region).

What level of ASD has your DS been diagnosed with? If he’s level 3, he might be better off starting in a special school. It would be worth enquiring whether these special schools have transport schemes in place for children who don’t live close by.

Have you been looking at public or private mainstream schools? I didn’t think public schools were allowed to discriminate against kids with additional needs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Izy (22-10-2019)