+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041
Results 401 to 407 of 407
  1. #401
    White Mage's Avatar
    White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,419
    Thanks
    1,959
    Thanked
    2,302
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xanadu29 View Post
    Hello mommies!! anyone had an experience with planning meeting with NDIS? we are going to have our meeting on Friday and I am looking for some advice and insight on what is going to happen. Thank you!
    Really think about what you need.
    Equipment, therapy, assistance.
    Social groups, school holiday programs,
    If you have ideas like that already, bring info about those things if you can.

    Bring a specialist with you if they can. I had a speech therapist and an o.t present to help contribute.
    Even talking to them before hand for some input would help.

    Reports.. all the reports. You may not need them. But they like up to date stuff as well as the initial diagnosis report.

    You will go over every little thing and talk like it's your kids worst day.

  2. #402
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked
    12
    Reviews
    0
    Thank you @White Mage I think our planning meeting went well.. it took us 2.5 hours and the planner was really nice (I hope). It was tough talking about all the difficulties my son has and all the bad examples of his behaviors but I conditioned myself that we need to talk about it for a better funding. How long did it take before you had your plan approved after the planning meeting if I may ask? The planner told me it varies so much so she can't give me a definite time frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    Really think about what you need.
    Equipment, therapy, assistance.
    Social groups, school holiday programs,
    If you have ideas like that already, bring info about those things if you can.

    Bring a specialist with you if they can. I had a speech therapist and an o.t present to help contribute.
    Even talking to them before hand for some input would help.

    Reports.. all the reports. You may not need them. But they like up to date stuff as well as the initial diagnosis report.

    You will go over every little thing and talk like it's your kids worst day.

  3. #403
    White Mage's Avatar
    White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,419
    Thanks
    1,959
    Thanked
    2,302
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xanadu29 View Post
    Thank you @White Mage I think our planning meeting went well.. it took us 2.5 hours and the planner was really nice (I hope). It was tough talking about all the difficulties my son has and all the bad examples of his behaviors but I conditioned myself that we need to talk about it for a better funding. How long did it take before you had your plan approved after the planning meeting if I may ask? The planner told me it varies so much so she can't give me a definite time frame.
    Hmmmm the first time it was about 1-2 months. They should be sooner every year after, it just depends on how much back log they have.

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,632
    Thanks
    934
    Thanked
    1,171
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xanadu29 View Post
    Thank you @White Mage I think our planning meeting went well.. it took us 2.5 hours and the planner was really nice (I hope). It was tough talking about all the difficulties my son has and all the bad examples of his behaviors but I conditioned myself that we need to talk about it for a better funding. How long did it take before you had your plan approved after the planning meeting if I may ask? The planner told me it varies so much so she can't give me a definite time frame.
    Glad to hear it went well. Fingers crossed that it isn't too long a wait to find out the result. Good idea to prepare yourself for discussing all the negatives, difficulties and behavioural issues. I found that a really challenging part of the diagnostic process and I assume the NDIS requirements are similarly deficit based.

  5. #405
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    333
    Thanks
    174
    Thanked
    63
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Sounds like the school is still getting a feel for your DD's behaviours and needs. One positive is that there is an aide in the classroom. My DS has been in mainstream since half way through term 3 last year (previously he was in a support class) and we're still waiting to find out what the school are able to offer in terms of an aide for support (they submitted his application last year but it takes time). Thankfully though, our school is great and I have no doubts that they're managing well with DS. They have assured me that whatever funding the school is given will be used solely to support DS (some schools use the funding as they see fit, not necessarily on your child even though they are the one who needs it).

    I would check in with the teacher as to when you'll be having your meeting to discuss her ILP. I would expect this to occur by week 6 at the latest.

    Best advice (as a newbie to mainstream) is to keep the communication going and don't be afraid to ask questions of them. If they are having any issues, they need to put strategies in place to try and manage your DD's needs. Our kids have additional needs, that doesn't mean they should be treated as an inconvenience - any school that makes you feel like that is probably not the right school for your DD.
    Thanks so much for the reply. I am not sure how to feel? DD loves it but every time she does a runner or doesn’t participate appropriately the teacher comes at me with a “oh I am exhausted face and a speech about how well she handled my child” the preps have Wednesday’s off and I am giving DD tomorrow off as well but the constant chopping and changing of the schedule is not helping. I feel like my kid is a burden to the school to be honest, then my DH tells me it’s early days and I am just protective.

    Also DD was playing with phlegm that she coughed up ( has never done this before) something new and apparently a parent complained to the teacher about hygiene. The teacher told me this on Tuesday, I felt sooo embarrassed and told the teacher she might be coming down with something I will give her and extra day off.

    What would you do in that situation?

  6. #406
    White Mage's Avatar
    White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,419
    Thanks
    1,959
    Thanked
    2,302
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama of 1 View Post
    Thanks so much for the reply. I am not sure how to feel? DD loves it but every time she does a runner or doesn’t participate appropriately the teacher comes at me with a “oh I am exhausted face and a speech about how well she handled my child” the preps have Wednesday’s off and I am giving DD tomorrow off as well but the constant chopping and changing of the schedule is not helping. I feel like my kid is a burden to the school to be honest, then my DH tells me it’s early days and I am just protective.

    Also DD was playing with phlegm that she coughed up ( has never done this before) something new and apparently a parent complained to the teacher about hygiene. The teacher told me this on Tuesday, I felt sooo embarrassed and told the teacher she might be coming down with something I will give her and extra day off.

    What would you do in that situation?
    The first year is always the hardest for parents because it's the first time our kids are starting to learn to be independent.
    My eldest was a lot of hard work in his first year. Could be disruptive. It took 3/4s of the year before he finally got it.
    However teachers should not be putting a show about how tiring your kid is. They should be telling you how they are dealing with the behavior and working with you to find a strategy that will make things easier for everyone.
    I found it a lot more of relief having them tell me how they were doing to help him. Rather then me having to hold the teacher or staff members hand on how to do things. It shows a lack of education or a lack of patience.

    I was very lucky to have a great prep teacher our first year. It was so weird having her tell me 'your son did this today, but we did this and this and this and he responded well to it and we will have a better approach for it in the future ' and I didn't have to explain why he did stuff cause they got why.

    It is the 1st year. Give it some more time yes. But don't let them make you feel bad. And don't be embarrassed.
    My eldest announced that he went to the toilet with his pants around his ankles and another student saw his bottom at lineup in front of the teachers, other kids and parents. Everyone laughed. I laughed too. Parents are assholes. Kids are assholes they are going to say things that suck. You ignore it and concentrate on yourself. Very easy to get caught up in school drama. VERY easy.
    Are there any other special needs families in the school?

  7. #407
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    12,443
    Thanks
    4,200
    Thanked
    7,585
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama of 1 View Post
    Also DD was playing with phlegm that she coughed up ( has never done this before) something new and apparently a parent complained to the teacher about hygiene. The teacher told me this on Tuesday, I felt sooo embarrassed and told the teacher she might be coming down with something I will give her and extra day off.

    What would you do in that situation?
    I would probably handle it the same as you. I'd be a little embarrassed, however I would try not to take it personally. She's just a little kid - young kids, spectrum or not, have much to learn and do gross things from time to time. I think it was a bit over the top for the parent to complain to the teacher.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

    White Mage (21-02-2019)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Awesome Mums of Autistic kids-how many of us are there (#3)????????
    By sajimum in forum Parents of Children with Special Needs
    Replies: 1020
    Last Post: 13-02-2018, 10:57
  2. Awesome Mums of Autistic kids- how many of us are there (#2) ?????????
    By mumof2cuties in forum Parents of Children with Special Needs
    Replies: 990
    Last Post: 04-11-2015, 16:00
  3. Awesome Mums of Autistic kids- how many of us are there?????????
    By MyFourCubs in forum Parents of Children with Special Needs
    Replies: 897
    Last Post: 14-02-2009, 21:37
  4. How many of us are there???
    By Lunar in forum Parents of Children with Special Needs
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 25-10-2007, 10:39
  5. Replies: 153
    Last Post: 16-04-2007, 21:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
The Clinic HubThe Clinic Hub is a state of the art health hub to assist you on this journey of parenthood. We offer "If only I knew" ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›

ADVERTISEMENT