+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @sajimum well my son did fairly well on his first day of school I am not expecting him to finish the whole day but to my surprise I did not receive any call from school to pick him up
    I talked to the assistant principal and she said the first part of the morning he is having anxiety and wanted to go home but they tried to distract him by letting him water the plants and his aid and the principal played bubbles with him until he is ready to go back to his classroom again. I am so thankful for his new school they are very supportive of his needs and they are very open to suggestions. It is actually a new school this is their first year of operation.
    The principal and assistant principal were very open and helpful... before the start of school we attended the positive partnership seminar which enable us to make a plan for my son when he goes to their school. I must say mothers instinct is always correct...
    My sons previous school was not very helpful. My son goes to main.stream school with full time aid.
    Today he went back with a smile on his face and even told his dad to go to work
    Fingers crossed this will last the whole school year.

Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    So excited school is back!! (me, not the kids )

I hope your DS went well today @xanadu29

DD went back on Wednesday. Was a little unsure ("lots of new kids") but coped well and has come home happy the last couple of days. She's so good once back into routine. Gets herself ready by 7am; practices music; helps with lunches. Routine brings calm for her. She's also loving having a prep "buddy" to look after. It's distracting her from the friendship issues for now. I met her teacher on the first day and he seems great. Will meet with him in the next week or so to discuss an IEP/ILP for her. I wanted to let him get to know DD a little more before we chat.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to xanadu29 For This Useful Post:

sajimum (06-02-2019)

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Xanadu that's super great that the school is being so helpful. That's such a positive thing indeed. Hopefully he will soon be able to relax in the new environment. With this kind of approach it can only mean positive things and make learning more enjoyable.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

xanadu29 (07-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ds2s speech therapist threw this together for his swimming lessons.20190206_170756.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @White Mage fingers crossed! Yesterday his aid told me that he ad an amazing day and focused on his works... so happy for this finally some good feedback from the teacher and teacher aid unlike the previous school they made my son appear to be hopeless... everyday all we hear is complains and bad feed backs. We still have trauma from them.

Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    Xanadu that's super great that the school is being so helpful. That's such a positive thing indeed. Hopefully he will soon be able to relax in the new environment. With this kind of approach it can only mean positive things and make learning more enjoyable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted in this thread, though I've been reading along.

DS is going really well - he's happy to be back at school and his teacher only has positive things to report so far Apparently he's playing with other kids in the playground too, which is encouraging (last year his teacher said he would appear a bit 'lost' in the playground environment).

We've finished up with feeding therapy for now - we have noticed improvements, though we still have a long way to go and will have to keep working on it at home.

Our NDIS plan is coming up for review next month. I'm not looking forward to it I have to say, just due to the fact we got funding cut last time. I really hope we at least get enough for fortnightly OT and speech in school terms. DS hasn't had speech therapy for over 6 months now due to not having enough funds to do food therapy at the same time.

We had a play date in the holidays with one of his classmates, which was lovely. We've been invited over again tomorrow afternoon to play again, so it's really great. The only thing that could potentially stuff it up is if there is a thunderstorm, which is forecast. DS still loses his sh!z completely out of fear and I don't want it to happen at their house or they'll probably be to frightened to have him over again!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted in this thread, though I've been reading along.

DS is going really well - he's happy to be back at school and his teacher only has positive things to report so far Apparently he's playing with other kids in the playground too, which is encouraging (last year his teacher said he would appear a bit 'lost' in the playground environment).

We've finished up with feeding therapy for now - we have noticed improvements, though we still have a long way to go and will have to keep working on it at home.

Our NDIS plan is coming up for review next month. I'm not looking forward to it I have to say, just due to the fact we got funding cut last time. I really hope we at least get enough for fortnightly OT and speech in school terms. DS hasn't had speech therapy for over 6 months now due to not having enough funds to do food therapy at the same time.

We had a play date in the holidays with one of his classmates, which was lovely. We've been invited over again tomorrow afternoon to play again, so it's really great. The only thing that could potentially stuff it up is if there is a thunderstorm, which is forecast. DS still loses his sh!z completely out of fear and I don't want it to happen at their house or they'll probably be to frightened to have him over again!!!
    How did it go Degrassi?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    How did it go Degrassi?
    The play date? Went pretty well! There were more kids there than we thought (which was fine), so it was a bit chaotic but he had fun. There was a little bit of thunder, he panicked briefly and went inside for a bit, but was happy to come back out without too much prompting. I offered to take him home, but I think he was having so much fun he didn't want to pull the pin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey guys I have not been reading along recently had my hands full in preparation for DD starting prep. We r 2 weeks and 3 days in and am starting to feel as though I may have picked the wrong school!! DD has just turned 5 last December, I realise thatโ€™s young however I am getting mixed feed back from teacher and aid. DD can be very impulsive and often just get up and do her own thing. She was in school full time last year ( 3 days ABA school readiness program) and 2 days kinder) teacher on first day asked if I could pick her up early for the rest of the week as DD was really tired, however when she described the behaviour it seemed more like she was bored or not challenged enough, then aid and school psychologist both said she was finishing her class work much earlier then the rest of the group?? I suggested they needed more work ready to help keep her occupied? I confused? Today was the first day they had visual aids, we have not had an IPL? Should we have had one by now? Not sure what to look for I. An IPL or what to ask for? Any tips or advice on how to deal with the mainstream school system and helping getting my girl what she needs would be really really appreciated feel really overwhelmed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama of 1 View Post
    Hey guys I have not been reading along recently had my hands full in preparation for DD starting prep. We r 2 weeks and 3 days in and am starting to feel as though I may have picked the wrong school!! DD has just turned 5 last December, I realise thatโ€™s young however I am getting mixed feed back from teacher and aid. DD can be very impulsive and often just get up and do her own thing. She was in school full time last year ( 3 days ABA school readiness program) and 2 days kinder) teacher on first day asked if I could pick her up early for the rest of the week as DD was really tired, however when she described the behaviour it seemed more like she was bored or not challenged enough, then aid and school psychologist both said she was finishing her class work much earlier then the rest of the group?? I suggested they needed more work ready to help keep her occupied? I confused? Today was the first day they had visual aids, we have not had an IPL? Should we have had one by now? Not sure what to look for I. An IPL or what to ask for? Any tips or advice on how to deal with the mainstream school system and helping getting my girl what she needs would be really really appreciated feel really overwhelmed
    Sounds like the school is still getting a feel for your DD's behaviours and needs. One positive is that there is an aide in the classroom. My DS has been in mainstream since half way through term 3 last year (previously he was in a support class) and we're still waiting to find out what the school are able to offer in terms of an aide for support (they submitted his application last year but it takes time). Thankfully though, our school is great and I have no doubts that they're managing well with DS. They have assured me that whatever funding the school is given will be used solely to support DS (some schools use the funding as they see fit, not necessarily on your child even though they are the one who needs it).

I would check in with the teacher as to when you'll be having your meeting to discuss her ILP. I would expect this to occur by week 6 at the latest.

Best advice (as a newbie to mainstream) is to keep the communication going and don't be afraid to ask questions of them. If they are having any issues, they need to put strategies in place to try and manage your DD's needs. Our kids have additional needs, that doesn't mean they should be treated as an inconvenience - any school that makes you feel like that is probably not the right school for your DD.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Mama of 1 (20-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello mommies!! anyone had an experience with planning meeting with NDIS? we are going to have our meeting on Friday and I am looking for some advice and insight on what is going to happen. Thank you!