+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber4304 View Post
    I’ve been reading along with this thread for a while but haven’t posted til now.

DS was diagnosed about 9 months ago, firstly as a lvl 1 but we’ve just had him re-levelled as a 2. He is high functioning and very intelligent but he has been having some issues with impulse control but only in a school setting. We’ve been doing weekly OT and fortnightky psych for about a year.

We were informed by our school about 1-1/2 weeks ago that he is no longer welcome and were invited to withdraw him. I can understand their pov as we’ve been having hitting incidents every week this year but they weren’t interested in why they were happening when they weren’t last year in prep.

Anyway, he’s now been at home and DP and I have been juggling work and looking after him while we find a new school. We have no family assistance available to us so it’s just us.

My question is, we started him on meds the day before he left the school so we haven’t seen whether it helps in a school setting which is where he struggles the most. Would you continue the meds or take him off them?
    First off welcome.

Meds, if we are talking about Ritalin or something similar, the best part is it leaves the body pretty quickly. So if you miss a day it wont affect them too much. So if you want to try a few days to see if there is a difference, you can. If you see that there is no difference between what he is like on and off, then you may have to reaccess the meds.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

Amber4304 (11-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    @Amber4304 welcome

I agree with White Mage about the meds. Shame you didn't get a chance to trial them properly whilst he was still in the classroom environment. My DS is on Ritalin (very low dose, quarter tablet twice a day on school days) and it does make a difference with his focus at school, but we see no difference in behaviour at home (we still give him one quarter tablet on weekends/school holidays). What medication has he been prescribed?

It's upsetting to hear the school has turned it's back on your family rather than trying to work out what was causing the issues and trying to manage/support him.

What kind of school are you looking at for him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks @White Mage & @Mod-Degrassi

We’ve started him on respirdone - starting at 0.25mg once per day and increasing to 1mg twice per day if we don’t see any changes.

We had another chat last night and have decided to keep going but not increase his dosage until he starts back at school.

We are very disappointed with the school. The learning support team didn’t even know that they were going to expel him. I just can’t get my head around it all. I think it’s a result of parent pressure but that certainly doesn’t make it any easier. I’ve had a couple of frank discussions with the support team about which has made me feel a bit better.

In terms of the type of school, we’re thinking a small one w iOS be best. Our state school has 700 kids (it had 5 prep classes last year) so that’s not an option unless we have no choice.

Most of the state schools in my area are enrolment managed so it’s not easy.

We’re looking at a couple of catholic schools that seem promising. We know people going to one of them and the feedback has been positive.

It’s just so hard because DS isn’t happy and tbh he’s starting to go stir crazy at home. The trouble is that we can’t really get him out more than we are because we have to work. Unfortunately I’ve only got a few days of leave up my sleeve.

Hopefully we can get him in somewhere before the end of the term so he knows what to expect in term 2.

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Respirodone is different. It is a sedative more then anything else. My ds2 takes it. And it helps his mind process slow down. And he helps him sleep some..
    It is something that you can give little of cause it can ha e some side effects. It's in the same category as a anti depressant. As it needs to be slowly administered and then slowly weaned off..
    So if you feel it isn't working definitely see the doctor again.

700 students!! Wowsers! I thought ours was big!
    Catholic schools are meant to be so much better because they have more funding to get support.

Good luck to you. Sounds like some big changes ahead for you! Let us know what you do.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

Amber4304 (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear that your school has not been supportive @Amber4304 are they allowed to expel a special needs child? This is one thing that I am worried about... Does he have an aide at school? If you don't mind me asking what has he done at school for them to resort on expelling him? I am just curious because my son can be disruptive at school. We moved school this year because I didn't like the state school that my son was in (it was too big and too many students) a new state school has opened close to our house and they were happy to accept him and they are working with us ever since the school started. I hope they won't get tired of working with him

I hope you'll find a school that will work with you and your son *hugs*

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xanadu29 For This Useful Post:

Amber4304 (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by xanadu29 View Post
    Sorry to hear that your school has not been supportive @Amber4304 are they allowed to expel a special needs child? This is one thing that I am worried about... Does he have an aide at school? If you don't mind me asking what has he done at school for them to resort on expelling him? I am just curious because my son can be disruptive at school. We moved school this year because I didn't like the state school that my son was in (it was too big and too many students) a new state school has opened close to our house and they were happy to accept him and they are working with us ever since the school started. I hope they won't get tired of working with him

I hope you'll find a school that will work with you and your son *hugs*
    We had 5 physical incidents this year, mainly pinching and hitting when he got frustrated. He’s a real rule follower, gets upset when others aren’t following the rules and has been reacting by lashing out. 3 of the incidents also involved kids getting into ‘his’ space.

They also cut back his aide support in the classroom this term which didn’t help.

We had no suspensions in the lead up, other than picking him up early after the incidents so no, they haven’t done everything they have to before expulsion but I don’t have the mental capacity to take it any further.

The learning support team also had no idea that this was going to happen which absolutely baffles me.

Technically, the school hasn’t expelled him, they requested us to withdraw him. They basically said that they’re concerned about his wellbeing but in the same sentence said that they’ve been getting complaints from parents. Essentially, he’s too hard for them and we’re not prepared to send him to a school where he isn’t welcome.

They also mentioned his refusal to do work as an issue. What they are forgetting is that he’s a 5 yo so won’t always be cooperative regardless of any diagnosis and he’s also bored. This is a kid who reads as at a 10 yo level and is learning about reading ‘ch’ sounds

I totally get that him being physical is an issue and DS understands that as well. We’re just frustrated that they never addressed whether there were any environmental changes they could make.

To make it worse, we haven’t had any contact with them since (other than unofficial contact with the learning support team) apart from an invoice for his library books which they sent without bothering to ring and remind us about them.

At the end of the day, we’re better off without the school (or will be once we find a new one) but it’s just disappointing and frustrating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh it looks like they just don't want to work with him! He is only 5 years old my goodness!
    They are just making excuses for removing him from their school. I think your son will be better off without them. I hate it when they don't want to work with parents of special needs child and with the child. I experienced that but this is before enrollment on a catholic school... the principal obviously didn't want my son in their school but because we live 5 houses from the school they don't have a choice but to accept him. We went on interview day and I can feel that my son is not welcome so we didn't bother enrolling him even if it's just 3 minutes walk from our house. Good luck to you and your son hope he finds a better school
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber4304 View Post
    We had 5 physical incidents this year, mainly pinching and hitting when he got frustrated. He’s a real rule follower, gets upset when others aren’t following the rules and has been reacting by lashing out. 3 of the incidents also involved kids getting into ‘his’ space.

They also cut back his aide support in the classroom this term which didn’t help.

We had no suspensions in the lead up, other than picking him up early after the incidents so no, they haven’t done everything they have to before expulsion but I don’t have the mental capacity to take it any further.

The learning support team also had no idea that this was going to happen which absolutely baffles me.

Technically, the school hasn’t expelled him, they requested us to withdraw him. They basically said that they’re concerned about his wellbeing but in the same sentence said that they’ve been getting complaints from parents. Essentially, he’s too hard for them and we’re not prepared to send him to a school where he isn’t welcome.

They also mentioned his refusal to do work as an issue. What they are forgetting is that he’s a 5 yo so won’t always be cooperative regardless of any diagnosis and he’s also bored. This is a kid who reads as at a 10 yo level and is learning about reading ‘ch’ sounds

I totally get that him being physical is an issue and DS understands that as well. We’re just frustrated that they never addressed whether there were any environmental changes they could make.

To make it worse, we haven’t had any contact with them since (other than unofficial contact with the learning support team) apart from an invoice for his library books which they sent without bothering to ring and remind us about them.

At the end of the day, we’re better off without the school (or will be once we find a new one) but it’s just disappointing and frustrating.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xanadu29 For This Useful Post:

Amber4304 (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Amber4304 unfortunately there are a number of schools around who don't manage kids with additional needs well. They are treated as an inconvenience, which is sad and unfair. Thankfully, there are plenty that also do an amazing job with ASD kids.

Do you know if there is a support group on facebook for parents of ASD kids in your local area? I'm a member of one and schools are often discussed between the parents on there. It's a great source of information, as everyone is in the same position and we all just want our kids to be supported and treated fairly.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Amber4304 (12-03-2019),White Mage (12-03-2019),xanadu29 (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    @Amber4304 unfortunately there are a number of schools around who don't manage kids with additional needs well. They are treated as an inconvenience, which is sad and unfair. Thankfully, there are plenty that also do an amazing job with ASD kids.

Do you know if there is a support group on facebook for parents of ASD kids in your local area? I'm a member of one and schools are often discussed between the parents on there. It's a great source of information, as everyone is in the same position and we all just want our kids to be supported and treated fairly.
    Thanks for the tip. I’ll get on and have a look.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

16. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

White Mage (18-03-2019)