+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scared of the vacuum cleaner ???

Is anyone else’s baby/toddler scared of the vacuum??
    The minute it’s turned on to the time it’s turned off my 11 month old cries. I’m not taking a few tears, she screams.
    Anyone else’s do this???
    Last edited by SammieP; 02-02-2018 at 10:07. Reason: Wrong subtitle

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS (5.5) is still not a massive fan of the vacuum cleaner and was absolutely terrified until about 3. He also doesn't like hand dryers, hair dryers and blenders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Both my kids have gone through/are going through this.
    It is something that they do eventually grow out of, even at 5 dd1 is still scared of the hand dryers in the bathroom lol.
    Blenders are another thing.

One thing that I found has helped is using a Dyson cordless, as dd2 (2yo) can even muck around with it as it’s lightweight so it’s lessened her fear.

Eta: I used to get dh to take the kids for a walk so I could vacuum. Didn’t get done very often, still doesn’t now lol
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 02-02-2018 at 10:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

My niece was terrified, yes. My kids weren't, not sure if that had anything to do with the fact that I used to pop them both into the baby carrier when they were babies and vacuum with them attached to me. DS actually used to fall asleep like this, as though the noise of the vacuum cleaner was soothing, lol
    Oh and I vacuumed fairly regularly.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my grand daughters did not like the vacuum. They had a cordless upright one, and also a dyson. I think both vacuums were rather loud on the tiles. They have no problem now they are older. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Both my kids have gone through/are going through this.
    It is something that they do eventually grow out of, even at 5 dd1 is still scared of the hand dryers in the bathroom lol.
    Blenders are another thing.

One thing that I found has helped is using a Dyson cordless, as dd2 (2yo) can even muck around with it as it’s lightweight so it’s lessened her fear.

Eta: I used to get dh to take the kids for a walk so I could vacuum. Didn’t get done very often, still doesn’t now lol
    Oh yes I have a Dyson cordless and she’s ok with that for some reason. I find when I get the actual vacuum cleaner out she cracks it tho.
    I would just used the Dyson but find it’s not amazing on carpets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    My niece was terrified, yes. My kids weren't, not sure if that had anything to do with the fact that I used to pop them both into the baby carrier when they were babies and vacuum with them attached to me. DS actually used to fall asleep like this, as though the noise of the vacuum cleaner was soothing, lol
    I’ve actually been putting her in the Tula for the last 3 months whilst vacuuming. That was ok but now has started to crack it in the carrier. She’s 11kgs too so not that comfortable vacuuming with her strapped to me, if you could imagine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I guess it’s the chicken and the egg argument- were my babies scared as I didn’t vacuum often enough, or did I only vacuum irregularly because it scared them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SammieP View Post
    Oh yes I have a Dyson cordless and she’s ok with that for some reason. I find when I get the actual vacuum cleaner out she cracks it tho.
    I would just used the Dyson but find it’s not amazing on carpets.
    Yeah it’s not as great as my Miele but it sure as hell was better than attempting a vacuum and cue a screaming kid. At least I vacuum more often now