+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping because I'd love to hear more stories. My first bub is due in march.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one child and another on the way. I went into labour at 2pm (first contraction), so went for a slow walk on the beach and stayed fairly active. By 6pm contractions were close so we went to hospital- got there 7pm and I was in quite a bit of pain! Nurse checked and I was 8cm dialated. Hopped straight in the birthing tub which felt so relaxing. Had a few sips of gas but was otherwise unassisted. I watched in the mirror as my son crowned and the nurse ended up breaking my water for me! Few more pushes and I pulled my son into the world at 9pm. Was an awesome experience, definitely recommend the water birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE.

I highly recommend a book called Birth Skills - Juju Sundin. It will give you a tonne of ideas to help you utilise throughout your labour and will help you understand what your body is doing and why.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely second this! Really useful and reassuring . Realistic too. Especially pushing techniques (visualise a coffee plunger as you push your breath down).

2 births here. My first at 40 weeks exactly, my second at 41 weeks. Both drugs free, intervention free water births . Both spontaneous, both preceded by mild but manageable cramps/contractions . My first was 5 hours active labour, I walked into hospital at 10cm and spent an hour pushing . Second was just 90 mins active labour, walking into hospital as the head was emerging (yeah that was fun...) Spent about 8 mins pushing . Both born with me on hands and knees.

Delayed cord clamping for both, my first I was home within 36 hours (she needed monitoring otherwise would have come home earlier), second we left after 4 hours.

You can do this! And if things don’t go to plan, rest assured that you’re in the best place with the best chance of a brilliant outcome. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had my first and only (DD is now 2) at a public hospital and my midwife was awesome. She was a bit of a 'rough and tough' personality type but I found it helpful as she have me a real sense of 'you can do this'.

Pregnancy was pretty hard with both gestational diabetes and hyperemis gravidarum (severe morning sickness) which still had me running for the bathroom every day up to and including the day I went into labour. I was put in the ED twice with dehydration and had a placental abruption at 31 weeks. (It's where the placenta begins to detach from the uterine wall.) I was literally shaking when the doctor started explaining the survival rates of babies delivered by emergency caesarean at 31 weeks despite the fact that he was trying to reassure me that their neonatal intensive care unit is considered one of the best in the country.

After 8 days of monitoring they sent me home and at 36w 3d my baby girl decided she was ready and things kicked into gear. At 4.30pm I was trying to convince myself it was a stomach ache, believing it was just too soon. By 5.30pm I caved and told DH we needed to go. When I reached the hospital I had no idea my water had broken between the waiting room and the exam room and was fast-tracked to delivery in stage 2 labour.

She was born shortly before midnight, and whisked away after briefly meeting her to be checked over put on oxygen in special care, apparently standard for Bubs that early. I didn't have anything but the gas for pain relief, but later wished I had when the opposite problem to six weeks earlier occurred with a retained placenta. After waiting as long as possible to deliver placenta naturally, the staff took one last 'if this doesn't work you'll have to be sent to theatre' shot with a manual removal. As I couldn't have any other pain relief at this point I was left clinging to my gas mask while they gave me a local and the doctor removed the placenta with a gloved hand. While this meant I couldn't feel her hand entering, I certainly felt every little bit of her scraping, pulling and peeling away the placenta. DH says he'll never forget the 'help me' look I gave him. Lost 1.2L in a haemorrhage during this procedure.

I made it up to the ward at about 5am when it was all over and had to wait 2 full days for her to join me in my room. Sooo lonely in that ward when everyone has their bub with them but you. Overjoyed when she joined me though, slept with my arm hanging out of the bed just to touch her once we were together. Went home when she was 5 days old.

She's been a champ from the get-go, great eater, sleeper, sweet, gentle, funny and just a blast to be with. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

You'll do great, and any pain will fade the moment you make eye contact with this little person you've known and loved so long and finally get to see in person. I was lost for words beyond 'hey, pretty eyes' until I remembered a story from a friend whose kids are my age. I told her 'I'm your mummy. And I love you'.
    Last edited by Cat1001; 04-10-2019 at 00:00. Reason: Addition