ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Overnight

At what age would you leave your teenagers overnight? If you had more than 1 child how old would you allow the oldest to be and the youngest ? And how many nights would you leave them (depending on age)??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lese82 For This Useful Post:

Annabelle1  (15-01-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me, it would be child dependant.
    Levels of maturity differ hugely irrespective of age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What age are we talking about? 13yo is different to a 17yo. Also depends how old the youngest is.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (15-01-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister was 16 and I was 10 the first time we were left overnight with her in charge. Once she moved out 2 years later, I wasn’t left overnight until I was 15 - and by that point I’d left school and was working a full time job. Until I was 17 and had my license I was never left more than 1 night. If mum and dad went away for more than 1 night it always just happened to “coincide” with my sister coming home for a weekend.

But it does depend on the maturity level of the kids.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pcos30 For This Useful Post:

Annabelle1  (15-01-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 2 x 18 year olds DSS and his gf who lives with us- my DD who would be 17 and my DS who is 14. They are good kids. We go out for dinner and leave them at home no worries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nearly 17 DD has spent one night home alone, about 12mths ago. We were going away for a long weekend & she had to work so stayed home & caught the bus to us the next day. There were rules & she had to check in with me at various times (leaving work, home from work, going to bed, waking up, leaving for bus, on the bus lol)
    She has also spent the night alone with a friend whose dad was on night shift to keep her friend company.

Now I wouldn’t be as nervous and would probably leave her and DD2 (nearly 4) home alone if we had to go away but would probably get her friend to stay as well.

I was regularly left home alone from 14/15 yrs, sometimes in charge of my younger brothers and often in charge of my parents farm 🤷🏻‍♀️ but my DD1 doesn’t seem to have the same common sense/maturity but that could be because she’s never had to develop it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't leave my kids alone overnight at all, without an adult in charge, and by adult I dont mean an 18 year old, I mean someone my age. Im sure they'd be 'fine' at 16 or 17, but it isnt them I'd be worried about, it is anyone finding out they were home alone. If anything happened to them while I was off having a holiday or something trivial, I dont think I could live with myself. I also wouldnt leave them in charge of younger siblings because it is not their job. I dont mean a couple of hours at a movie or something though, I mean overnight. If you leave a child under 16 alone, or in the care of someone other than an adult, and someone dobs you into child protection, you'll come back to them in foster care. It happened to my best friend... she left her 15 year old daughter home for 3 nights in charge of her 10 year old brother and 12 year olds twin sisters. Came back, the kids werent there. The 15 year old had said something to one of the teachers at school and when my friend came home, it took her 6 months to get her kids back. Had to go to court and everything. Seriously. If it hadnt happened to her, I'd never have believed it.
    Last edited by Rachel3072; 14-01-2018 at 16:43. Reason: Further information to explain why I feel this way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummaofasurprise View Post
    I was regularly left home alone from 14/15 yrs, sometimes in charge of my younger brothers and often in charge of my parents farm 🤷🏻‍♀️ but my DD1 doesn’t seem to have the same common sense/maturity but that could be because she’s never had to develop it
    This was always part of the argument I had at 13/14 with my parents when they’d organize a “baby sitter” if they were gone for a few nights - they would say I hadn’t developed the skills needed to survive on my own, and I would counter with how could I develop them without being left on my own? The older I got the more forceful the argument became, especially once I was working full time, had my own money and I could have lived on my own if I really wanted to. Once they did leave me for more than a single night it opened up a world of opportunity for them and after that I was regularly left alone until I moved out at 19.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pcos30 For This Useful Post:

mummaofasurprise  (14-01-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Overnight

My girls are two years apart. When the oldest is 18 the other will be16 and I’m fine with a couple of nights. Would worry before that since they can’t drive. Having a license is important living out of town

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Overnight

I was left at home at 17 for a few nights. Some of my friends stayed with me (would have been way too chicken on my own).
    Last edited by teenie; 14-01-2018 at 23:14.