ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to stop co sleeping

Short version:
    I'd really appreciate some tips and techniques, along with your success and failure stories (the fails are so I don't feel bad when I fail 😉) on how to stop co sleeping.

Long version:
    My little girl is about to be 1, so I thought as an extra birthday present we would stop co sleeping. We have co slept at night since she was young and she is a Velcro baby. She has always been a rubbish sleeper - her longest stretch, months ago, was 4 hours. If she slept through whilst cosleeping I would happily continue but she is now at point that she will stir/cry out whilst in bed with me every 1-2hrs. Luckily it is usually just a quick pat/cuddle and she is back to sleep. But I'm tired and the fact that she is a Velcro baby during the day - I just want to not be touched 24/7. I thought DD would grow out of it, we coslept with DS until 10/11months and he just started sleeping through. I don't see DD stopping by her own free will.

She goes down anywhere between 7-8, depending on what our day has been like. Sometimes she falls asleep on the boob, other times I will hum a tune til drowsy, put in cot, hum with hand on back until asleep. Naps are same method, except no boob (only has a feed after morning nap). She has a feed at 4/5am, which I am happy to keep (works well that she has morning feed before DS wakes as she is the feed in the dark kind of kid). DH can put her to sleep for day naps but night time and overnight resettle attempts are met with murderous screams, with the occasional vomit thrown in for good measure 😏.

At this stage I am looking at gentle methods, ask me again in another 6 months and I may say otherwise. I feel the answer is going to just be consistent with whatever we choose, but she is a determined little thing. Thanks for reading, hope you can offer some advice or battle stories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following! My DD is 3mths and I see myself having the same trouble when she is a bit bigger.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloom Bloom For This Useful Post:

HappyDaysAllRound  (03-01-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same. Following. God, DS is only 2 months but I just want to pull the covers up to my chin and roll over in any direction! But I'm just not ready to sacrifice any more sleep for quite a while to really focus on getting him out of the bed just now. I do put him in the baby box right next to the bed after he feeds to sleep, but the results are very hit and miss, sometimes the transfer wakes him right up, sometimes he's fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OSmum2017 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have much experience as I stopped cosleeping exclusively from about 10 weeks.

Can you try putting her into the cot and sleeping on a mattress in the floor initially?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We stopped cosleeping around that age. We put him on a single mattress instead of a cot (so low to ground it was no big deal if he rolled off) and we lay with him until he fell asleep. We all started sleeping better after that! He now has a low bed (he’s 2 and a half) and we lay on a mattress next to his bed to put him to sleep. It can take a while to go down but he finally sleeps well once he’s down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fi1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have fail stories!

I pretty much have given up doing it on my timeline and letting them do it on their own.

DS started sleeping on his own most nights between 2.5-3. He did sleep with DS for a few weeks when DD came (he was 3) but atm at almost 5 he sleeps 99% of the time in his bed. And he was my velcro baby.

DD is 21 months. She still cosleeps half the night (whole night on teething nights).

Both of them were worse after 12 months until 18-20 months (due to teething/leaps).

You can most certainly try. We did/do mattress on the floor. DS was terrified of cots. DD just climbed out by 12 months.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, the ratio between success and failure is slightly disheartening but at least I'm not alone ☺️.

@OSmum2017 - literally LOL'ed at your first sentence!

@Amber4304 - her cot hasn't even made it out of our room yet, but think I will try pulling the cot next to our bed. Worst case scenario, it's a few less steps I take to get her when she wakes.

@fi1234 - did your DS wake a lot overnight or was just getting him to sleep initially your battle? DD is fine to get to sleep, it's the staying asleep that's the problem.

@twinklify - what do/did you do if you have an evening event (eg wedding)? Since DD birth, I haven't been out in the evening without her but we have some special celebrations coming up that I'd love to attend!

@hopefull29 - no, I have not. Will go have a look!

P.S Hoping my tagging works!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HappyDaysAllRound For This Useful Post:

hopefull29  (03-01-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The kids have always been looked after by MIL and FIL. They fall asleep with MIL/FIL. They usually sleep until we get home (we get home before midnight).

They are pretty good falling asleep with others at the start of the night or during the day but resettling is the problem at night.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

HappyDaysAllRound  (04-01-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Six years old and still getting into bed with us. Still a terrible sleeper. Getting ridiculous now, as we all get a bit squashed. I’m a major fail story. Trying to stop it now...I secretly love it though. They aren’t going to want to do it when they’re a moody teenager or an excitable tween. Enjoy it while it lasts I say.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crunchyapple For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (04-01-2018),Elijahs Mum  (04-01-2018),HappyDaysAllRound  (04-01-2018),Kookii  (19-01-2018)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Not a success or failure story... Ds is still in with me every night at almost 4. I never really tried to stop though I'm tempted now, especially when I wake up squashed by 20kg of child sleeping on top of me (not unlike Velcro). He usually sleeps through now though (ie. ~7pm to 6am). His sleep improved hugely between 18-22 months...went from multiple wake ups to one wakeup or less (9-10pm to 8am), and once he dropped his day nap at 2 started sleeping 6.30pm onwards meaning I could go out in the evening if I needed/wanted to). So it can improve.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

HappyDaysAllRound  (04-01-2018)