+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone frozen eggs and embryo with donor sperm?

Hi all,

As the topic suggests I am wondering if anyone here have actually done the above? I'm turning 38 next year and my relationship doesn't look like it will survive past next year and I am seriously considering these options. My AMH level is 12 and apparently normal for my age and I'm having a laparoscopy this Friday to clear stage 4 endometriosis so I'm able to actually go through the ivf process or at least retrieve any eggs that's available.

Would the FS allow both options to be done? Not necessarily from 1 cycle but I'm willing to go through 2 rounds of injections to do both.

The reason for this is I would still like to have the option to be able to try to get pregnant with any potential new partner I may meet and if not after a couple of years if I don't have meet anyone I would use the frozen embryos from donor sperm to have a baby on my own.

Would appreciate if anyone can share their experiences.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You'd be able to create embryos using your own eggs and donor sperm with no problems, presuming you have good quality eggs available. The embryos will be able to be frozen, yes.

Freezing eggs alone can be done, but you should be aware that they don't have the greatest thawing rates. Eggs are 'hollow' and can perish during the thaw stage quite easily. Their success rates for thawing are lower than those of embryos.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

bowiegirl  (15-12-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some clinics may not allow embryos to be created with donor sperm for the purpose of preservation. I know ours didn’t as it’s something we inquired about.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TandR For This Useful Post:

bowiegirl  (15-12-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TandR View Post
    Some clinics may not allow embryos to be created with donor sperm for the purpose of preservation. I know ours didn’t as it’s something we inquired about.
    Hello,
    If you don't mind me asking which clinic did you enquire with? I'm with Melbourne ivf and will speak to my FS when I attend my follow up post lap in 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    You'd be able to create embryos using your own eggs and donor sperm with no problems, presuming you have good quality eggs available. The embryos will be able to be frozen, yes.

Freezing eggs alone can be done, but you should be aware that they don't have the greatest thawing rates. Eggs are 'hollow' and can perish during the thaw stage quite easily. Their success rates for thawing are lower than those of embryos.
    Hi Blossom,
    Yes I'm aware that there is a chance the eggs may not survive the thawing stages hence my first option is to freeze embryo with donor sperm first. Will discuss my options after my laparoscopy and go from there. One step at a time really is all I can do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jhwj For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (15-12-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You may find that you and your current partner need to do counselling to use donor sperm to create and freeze embryos. It can be easier to not declare you have a partner. Although you will then be doing 'social IVF' which is expensive. You may also need to check out the legalities around creating embryos as a couple, whilst using donor sperm, and whether he has any legal ownership of them. Good luck.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tahli For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (15-12-2017),bowiegirl  (15-12-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (15-12-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahli View Post
    You may find that you and your current partner need to do counselling to use donor sperm to create and freeze embryos. It can be easier to not declare you have a partner. Although you will then be doing 'social IVF' which is expensive. You may also need to check out the legalities around creating embryos as a couple, whilst using donor sperm, and whether he has any legal ownership of them. Good luck.
    I'm planning to go through this alone and actually end my relationship with my partner soon because of different goals in life so I will be a solo mum by choice. I have done some research on this but will speak to my FS in detail once I've recovered from my lap that is meant to be in a few hours.

So there will be no partner involved. I've been told I'll need two counselling sessions prior to starting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you have endo then you do have fertility issues and get the Medicare rebate.

Solo mum by choice here. I had PCO so could claim it. Might have to say you had tried in the past though

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Jhwj  (16-12-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhwj View Post
    Hi Blossom,
    Yes I'm aware that there is a chance the eggs may not survive the thawing stages hence my first option is to freeze embryo with donor sperm first. Will discuss my options after my laparoscopy and go from there. One step at a time really is all I can do.
    Yes I think at the moment just do what you have to do one step at a time.
    Don't think too far ahead just yet but just to let you know, we had more luck with the frozen embryos than the fresh

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Jhwj  (16-12-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    If you have endo then you do have fertility issues and get the Medicare rebate.

Solo mum by choice here. I had PCO so could claim it. Might have to say you had tried in the past though
    Okay thanks for letting me know. I just had my lap today and it went well. My ovaries have been freed as they were both immobile and a nodule removed and 1 Fallopian tube was blocked. Just woke up to take some painkillers but otherwise feeling ok and as expected I suppose.