+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mouse poison that’s safe around other animals

So it appears we have mice! Never in my life that I know of have we ever had mice and I suspect they have come in from next door after the neighbours moved their many half built cars and other crap they had around the yard that the mice may have been hiding in. Anyway now I need to get rid of them, the cat is doing a pretty good job at hunting them but I would like them gone quicker mainly because DD is being majorly dramatic over the whole thing. DH is going to set up mouse traps and we have put in a request with the realestate for pest control but DH would also like to put down some poison but I am worried if the cat catches a poison mouse would it then poison her? Suggestions on what to use would be fantastic because I can see me having trouble getting DD into her own room tonight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    IMG_1512609310.552330.jpg
    We're on a farm and I use this. Very effective and the kids/chooks/cattle can't get into it. The mice go into the bait station, eat it then they go away and die somewhere else. I've never found a dead mouse inside. And I believe that they can't cause secondary poisoning (e.g. If an animal eats a poisoned mouse, that poisoned mouse won't kill them).
    I'd highly recommend this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

loodle  (07-12-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    IMG_1512609472.228258.jpg
    It is currently here in our pantry, but I've put it anywhere there was a problem and within 2 weeks the mice were gone. We have snakes here so I don't need to supply them with an endless supply of food (i.e. The mice)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

loodle  (07-12-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where would I find this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    Where would I find this?
    I got this at our local rural supply store. If you're in a city I'm not sure where as I've never seen this exact one in Bunnings. It's made in the USA so I can't find any info on the box for local suppliers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might pop out to the rural supply store here this afternoon and see what they have. Right now I have 2 children sitting like statues too scared to put their feet on the ground and 1 that is oblivious and tearing through the house like a cyclone taking advantage of the fact his siblings aren’t chasing him out of their rooms and away from their things

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you looking for a poison that's safe around animals eg the cat won't get poisoned if it eats a mouse that has eaten bait. Or are you looking for spots to put bait that the cat won't get to?

If you are after spots to put bait, I just use the ratsack packets and wax blocks from any supermarket and put them under sofas, the fridge, dishwasher, cupboard under the sink, and in the roof space. I've found that under and behind the fridge is a great spot to put traps because I've found that they tend to congregate there - my fridge has a drip tray behind it and I think they drink out of it.

I've had some success with a live traps like this for mice:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/i/252487775560?chn=ps

I got from bunnings (metal cage, big cheese brand) like this:
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/the-big-...-trap_p3010133
    But I found it only worked once and got damaged somehow - the mechanism is quite delicate and it's never the been the same since I actually caught a rat in it.

I then bought an electric zapper like this:
    https://www.gettrapped.com.au/rodent.../raticator-max
    And have it permanently set up behind the fridge, but I've never caught anything in it.

At anyrate, I found the Get Trapped website (above) is probably the best spot for alternative mouse / rat traps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Are you looking for a poison that's safe around animals eg the cat won't get poisoned if it eats a mouse that has eaten bait.
    This mainly, she seems to be a pretty good mouse hunter for a kitty who has never been outside or hunted in her life. I think I might have some under the fridge because the cat keeps trying to get down the side of it and trying to look under it. We rang the rural supply and they have some traps that are square with a hole in the top that trap the mouse so might be one of the ones you mentioned (they didn’t give a brand) so going for a drive when DH gets home and get some traps for behind the couch and places the cat and or kids can get to it so fingers and paws don’t get snapped. While I am out I might pop into the vets and see if they can suggest anything I can use. We rang the real estate and they said because it environmental not pest there is nothing they can do and quiet a few houses around town have them. My little foxy x chihuahua is fairly tired but alert today so I think she has been hunting them with the cat during the night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Since Sunday I have had to deal with lice, gastro and now mice! I am a neat freak germaphope so none of this sits well with me and makes me feel like there is a plague on my house!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We ended up with a heap of traps and a few cages that trap them after they get attracted to the bait that is in there so hopefully that keeps them to a minimum and DD calms down I have honestly never seen her so scared and freaked out. The cat has calmed down and stopped hunting and stalking so I hope that’s a sign that we only had a minimal invasion and we are able to keep the number of them low

13. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (07-12-2017)