+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Post-birth body adjustments

Can we just take a moment to marvel (I'm trying to avoid being too negative ... but hey, some of these things are pretty uncomfortable!) at aaaaaall the many ways that our bodies freak out after birth.

So I knew my belly would take a while to disappear. But I was totally unprepared for how messy my post-birth body would get. There is blood leaking from my vag (though quite slowly to be fair), I am wet with sweat (especially at night), and two mornings in a row I have had to lean over the bathroom sink after my shower to let a fountain of milk (literally, a spray of about 10 cm) go down the drain. I mean I knew my boobs would leak, but THIS much (I get about a quarter cup leaking from the unused boob during a feed)?! Oh yeah. And my dandruff has returned and the skin on my hands and feet is peeling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had to use breast pads for a year with my first baby. I wish I had one of those things that catches the milk from the breast not being used when you’re feeding lol

You know your body will change but I certainly didn’t realise how much either.
    Wait til you’ve had a few more kids (if you plan to), it actually can change more!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yup it’s mind boggling. Some of the things are temporary, some permanent. Like my feet grew from size 10 to 11 and stayed the same
    I kinda don’t want to warn you about this but a few months post partum my hair started to fall out. It’s really common. One of my friends had it so bad after both her babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Urghh I know right

The boobs were a huge shock to me lucky they’ve gone back to normal ish

I stank so bad after pregnancy - I did have a lot of swelling maybe that added to the stink but ewww

My hair fell out I was devastated
    It’s still thin in the front on my scalp

My skin went crazy about 6m post part

My body went really soft and I have a lot of cellulite now that I didn’t before

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my tummy is like bread dough. ok so i never had a 6 pack but it’s so pudgy now, i can’t stand the flab. my boobs are mostly back to normal now, maybe slightly less perky than before but they aren’t like deflated balloons or anything. the pp sweating was a shock as i am not someone who sweats much. luckily it passes. the hair loss was bad, took ages to get back to normal too. it got so thin around the temples, i hated it.

my feet are a bit bigger than before, ive also got slightly wider hips as not one of my pre baby pairs of jeans fit. can’t get them past my thighs and if i can, no way will they do up. not even close.

nobody tells you any of this beforehand either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (04-12-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh the sweating and milk leakage - blurk. I feel so sticky and smelly all the time! And even worse when you are still bleeding, I just felt like I was leaking from every possible body part...just gross.

I am loving breastfeeding but kind of (guiltily) looking forward to the day when my body is my own again.

I actually thought my body had bounced back really well....that was, until I pulled out my pre-pregnancy clothes and tried unsuccessfully to fit into any of them the other day....that was a reality check!

I also feel totally ripped off about the stretch marks that appeared AFTER having the baby. Nobody warned me about that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The night sweats were horrible! Lasted 6 weeks for me...I would wake to feed with my breasts covered in beads of sweat! Yuk! But I too marvel at the female body in preparing, and recovering from giving birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhhh! @gingermillie I thought I'd been spared hair loss because it hasn't happened yet ... I thought it started straight after birth, but I see I might have that waiting for me down the track.

Oh, and we haven't even mentioned the pelvic floor trickiness.