+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WDYT - Second hand carseat for grandparents' car?

Would you buy a second hand carseat to use in grandparents' car?

My parents look after 3yr old DS from time to time, maybe once a month. When they do, they take our car with his carseat in it. They are thinking it would be handy to have a carseat in their car too, so they didn't have to take our car to drive DS places.

Carseats are obviously expensive. Would you look at second hand ones (eg Gumtree) given use in grandparents' car is fairly infrequent? I would just have to take on trust from a seller whether it had been in an accident. I'm torn about it ...

I'm not going to take carseats in and out of cars - too much of a pain in the butt.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd consider it. I know this doesn't mean all that much but I would trust my instincts looking at its condition and the people who were selling it IYKWIM.

Ideally a friend or friend of a friend who you could trust would be great. I'd start in my immediate circle / Facebook friends and see if I can find one that way before a total stranger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default WDYT - Second hand carseat for grandparents' car?

I would buy one second hand from someone I knew or from a friend of a friend kind of thing. I probably wouldn't buy second hand off a stranger.

Would a cheaper model of car seat be another option? Obviously one that has good reviews and meets the criteria you're after.
    Last edited by TandR; 23-11-2017 at 13:33. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I probably wouldn't. I don't know why as I've sold 2 car seats myself. First one to a friend - I'd only used it 3-4 months from newborn and dd hated it so it was essentially new condition. The second one dd used for about 8 months and I then decided I wanted an extended rear facing seat. Sold it on gumtree for half the original price as it was in excellent condition.
    I am pretty sure they have the year of manufacture printed on them somewhere. I'd ask if it had been in an accident. It'd be a pretty low dog act to lie about that. Britax car seats they replace for free if they've been in a crash anyway. Try and find a fairly new seat. I don't think I'd look at anything more than a year old.
    We just had to buy a second seat for DHs car. He wanted to look second hand but I said no

Thanks
    Reviews
    It may be worth buying a low price new one - maybe if they had access to their own seat they’d take him more regularly? It would mean less planning, they’d be able to just go, and over time the cost of the seat would be a distant memory? Are you or any siblings planning more kids?it could be a worthwhile investment.

When DSS first started coming to us we bought a seat from Target for $90. It did us until he was old enough to move into a booster, and we’ve actually kept it - as it’s a reversible so it’ll become the seat for future kids in the grandparents car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I’ve sold seats so I guess so? Like pp said ask around if anyone you know and trust has one first and then really sus out the person if you go second hand from a stranger. I mean if it’s clean looking chances are it’s fine right?

Otherwise yeh I’d ask them to go halves? Or just give them his current one in your car after saving up for a new one for myself. They can sit in them for so long now you do get your moneys worth. You should be able to get a convertible one under $200 if you watch the sales. The ones that have a harness that can come out and be used as a booster I mean. I think ours was $170 on a sale.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all.

I think i might look around for an inexpensive car seat that's easy to install and take out etc, so we can use it in different people's cars easily.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Wise Enough, is it you that's had lots of different car seats? Ideally i want one that's *really* easy to install and remove regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    @Wise Enough, is it you that's had lots of different car seats? Ideally i want one that's *really* easy to install and remove regularly.
    Ha you have a good memory. Yes soooooo sooooo many trying to accomodate my giant DD1.

I wouldn’t buy one for a small baby second hand, but I would for an older child. But I would probably just hit up the sales. So many are delusional about what a second hand car seat is worth. Like the neon you can get brand new for nearly as much as people are charging second hand.

Easy to install I recommends Britax or Infasecure.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (25-11-2017)