Closed Thread
Page 25 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

I’m a first time poster here and wanted to share my experience of getting a donor egg from Greece. I’m happy to say that 3½ weeks ago we welcomed a beautiful baby girl to our family.

I’m a woman in my mid 40’s and after many years trying to conceive with my partner and looking for options in Australia we decided to look oversees about 14-15 months ago. I’m of Greek background and while we considered and contacted options in both South Africa and Greece my desire to find a donor of the same ethnicity as me (my partner is Australian) and the strong connection I felt with Dr Nikos at Embryoland made our decision to go to Athens last November an easy one.

From the first email I sent to Dr Nikos, to the first Skype chat we had with him a week or so later I had a strong feeling that not only could he help, but his warmth and commitment to us was the strongest we had found, even in comparison to our Australian doctors. Both my partner and I just had a good feeling about him and his clinic.

I made two trips to Greece all up in the space of 3 months. Unfortunately my first transfer wasn’t successful and on the advice of our local doctor I headed back for a second transfer ASAP. Both trips we made at quite short notice but once we made the commitment to travel Dr Nikos did everything he could to ensure both the donor and I were ready to go.

The second trip I made solo last February and I know the difficulty of travelling alone for such an emotional time. But with only 3 days in Athens the whole process of being ready for the transfer was critical and Dr Nikos was incredibly supportive in making sure everything was lined up ready to go.

Luckily this time it was successful and I’m sitting here with our daughter next to me as I write this... Being a new mum is wonderful and I wish everyone on here going through what I did the very best of luck.

I understand everyone's journey is different but I would not hesitate in recommending Dr Nikos and his team to anyone thinking of going overseas for this type of treatment. He is an amazing man who gave us a wonderful gift. I’ve got to go, I have a dirty nappy to change!

Good luck everyone.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sophiah20 For This Useful Post:

missybear (22-11-2017),Moc24 (23-11-2017),Nilza79 (23-11-2017),Phia (22-11-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophiah20 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I’m a first time poster here and wanted to share my experience of getting a donor egg from Greece. I’m happy to say that 3½ weeks ago we welcomed a beautiful baby girl to our family.

I’m a woman in my mid 40’s and after many years trying to conceive with my partner and looking for options in Australia we decided to look oversees about 14-15 months ago. I’m of Greek background and while we considered and contacted options in both South Africa and Greece my desire to find a donor of the same ethnicity as me (my partner is Australian) and the strong connection I felt with Dr Nikos at Embryoland made our decision to go to Athens last November an easy one.

From the first email I sent to Dr Nikos, to the first Skype chat we had with him a week or so later I had a strong feeling that not only could he help, but his warmth and commitment to us was the strongest we had found, even in comparison to our Australian doctors. Both my partner and I just had a good feeling about him and his clinic.

I made two trips to Greece all up in the space of 3 months. Unfortunately my first transfer wasn’t successful and on the advice of our local doctor I headed back for a second transfer ASAP. Both trips we made at quite short notice but once we made the commitment to travel Dr Nikos did everything he could to ensure both the donor and I were ready to go.

The second trip I made solo last February and I know the difficulty of travelling alone for such an emotional time. But with only 3 days in Athens the whole process of being ready for the transfer was critical and Dr Nikos was incredibly supportive in making sure everything was lined up ready to go.

Luckily this time it was successful and I’m sitting here with our daughter next to me as I write this... Being a new mum is wonderful and I wish everyone on here going through what I did the very best of luck.

I understand everyone's journey is different but I would not hesitate in recommending Dr Nikos and his team to anyone thinking of going overseas for this type of treatment. He is an amazing man who gave us a wonderful gift. I’ve got to go, I have a dirty nappy to change!

Good luck everyone.
    Congratulations! It’s lovely to hear another success story!

I’m currently 6+4 after going to Dr Nikos and if it had not been for the wonderful ladies and their stories and advice on Bub hub and particularly this thread I wouldn’t be where I am right now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to missybear For This Useful Post:

Phia (22-11-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Peninsula Girl View Post
    @mrsI73, I agree with @Moc24 re the MTHFR, and it is totally manageable. You should get onto supplements with folinic acid or 5 Methyl Folate straight away to start getting the folic acid out of your system. I am on a US one called Optimal Prenatal by Seeking Health, it’s from the US so I order it through Return2Health.

As Moc24 said, MTHFR support Australia are great and have a lot of resources/online seminars. In addition to the supplements, I also decided to go gluten, dairy and sugar free, plus removing toxins from make up/skin products etc but this was also because I have hashimotos (thyroid issues). I think MTHFR can be effectively managed just by avoiding folic acid.

All the best to you, it’s great to get some answers, but very frustrating when they take so long to come through!
    @mrs173 I'm on the same prenatal vitamins as peninsula girl. Also try to be gluten and dairy free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilza79 View Post
    Im sitting at Sydney airport looking at my plane about to embark on this journey again.
    To say that im emotional is an understatement. Ive just said goodbye to my family and the love of my life just drove home. I know this is something we want and many of you have done on your own also bit why is this so *** hard!
    If only it was easier in our country. A country that has the best of everything and we all have to travel overseas to see our baby dreams come true.
    If theres one thing i do now is advocate for all the ladies going through fertility issues. Even of its a hey did you know this. Yesterday i was at my bank due to a lost key card. Lol everyone has a moment just before they leave right?
    Anyways the lovely teller asked me why i was going to greece. So i told her. Ive always been open as I believe many are struggling without anyone to talk to and i want to remove the stigma attached to ivf and feetility problems.
    When i told her she explained that she had just had her first consult with a Fs and she has poor ovarian reserve and pcos and hasnt ovulated in a year. Shes 28. She told me she’s looking at donor pathways too. I gave her the bub hub app to start with and informed her about all ive been through. Told her to test for everything including NKC and mthfr.
    I told her id keep in touch.
    Hopefully one day our legislations will change. When donor eggs can be anonymous like most of us want. Yes a register for future use but make it like sperm donors. Where women like us can go and there is a wealth of information and doesnt cost our life savings to hopefully fulfill our dreams. This is what I hope for. And of course babies !!! Lots of babies for everyone who is traveling this hard path!!
    I have just arrived and agree entirely.
    I just can't keep doing this trip it's so hard on everyone.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moc24 For This Useful Post:

Nilza79 (23-11-2017),Notalone (23-11-2017),Phia (23-11-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsl73 View Post
    Hi Ladies, I received an email from embryoland yesterday with some test results of blood tests I did in Greece in March. Imagine my shock that I get the results 9 months later. 🤬🤬

Anyway I am a little confused by it as appears I tested positive for MTHFR C677T. So after I googled it I am really concerned that this might have been a contributing flavor to losing Zoe. I emailed Dr Nikos last night to please explain to me exactly what these results mean but he didn’t respond
    If I receive no email today he will be getting a call from me.

Any other ladies have this and what did you do meds / supplements wise?? I want to be loaded with all the information I get my hands on for when I do speak to Dr Nikos.
    I have exactly the same mutation as you. I did genetic testing in Melbourne which identified it. I am scared because of it. I am on heparin (ckexane is the sane) because of it. @peninsulagirl has given me hope though as she has it too and is pregnant. I had a mini meltdown when i first started reading about it. Took me a couple of weeks to get it together. But this forum is full of great advice for women with the mthfr gene. The other ladies have given great advice. Folinic acid is key. Aa it may taje a whike for an overseas order to arrive, tryTerrywhite/chemmart chemist. They carry the 'bioceuticals" range of supplements if you want to pick some up straight away. I remember mists pharmacists gave me blank looks when I asked for it. PM me if you need to. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophiah20 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Good luck everyone.
    Congratulations! What a wonderful story. May your darling girl always be happy and healthy. 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moc24 View Post
    Unfortunately I have to walk past the bakeries. Because I have the MTHFR I am trying to be gluten free
    Oh @Moc24 I haven't been as good as you and now I'm a bit panicky. You gave me that advice some time ago. How on earth did I forget it???

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Nilza79 i feel the same way. I am also quite open and on the same quest. So many women suffer in silence. I truly hope that this time is the charm for you xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Notalone For This Useful Post:

Nilza79 (23-11-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Moc24 good luck for tomorrow. Xx

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Notalone For This Useful Post:

Moc24 (23-11-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Mrsl73 i found this which may interest you:
    www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/mthfr#testing5

Extract below:
    Positive mutated MTHFR gene treatment options

Treatment for the positive MTHFR gene malfunction is still being studied, but many doctors will prescribe therapy to help prevent blood clotting or increase folic acid levels.

Your doctor might recommend the following options.

Lovenox or heparin injections: These injections can help prevent blood clots from forming between the developing placenta and the uterine wall. Women prescribed this treatment often start early during pregnancy. But more research is needed to determine how long women need to continue injections.

Daily aspirin (81 mg): This also helps with blood clot formation, but there’s no scientific evidence that it’s an effective treatment.

Extra folic acid: Your prenatal vitamin may provide all the folic acid your body needs. But your doctor might advise you to take extra folic acid.

Your doctor might prescribe a prenatal vitamin with L-methylfolate instead of folic acid as some studies have shown that L-methylfolate can decrease the risk of anemia in women with MTHFR gene.