+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Products for fine, knotty hair

My DD (5) has longish hair, but it gets so tangled! I've been using shampoo and conditioner twice a week, but it really only helps the first day.

The last 2 times she got it cut, I've asked for one length, but when we get home, realised the hairdresser had put in some long layers. I think these are contributing to the problem.

Short of cutting it into a shoulder length bob to get rid of the knotty parts, is there anything I can use? I've tried a gloss serum, leave in Conditioner and plaiting it at night, but it's still full of knots in the morning! She doesn't have split ends and we get it trimmed regularly. She's not keen on the idea of a bob, but hates the pain from having it brushed. Is there anything I can try??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DDs hair is ridiculously curly. It's beautiful but a complete nightmare to manage
    I wash her hair every 3 days and on the between days I make sure her hair is wet in the shower then spray leave in conditioner and brush it. I never ever brush it dry because of the curls (will go massive fluffy afro lol).
    You could try mixing up a spray bottle of water with a spoonful of conditioner mixed in and in the morning dampen her hair enough to run the comb through gently to pull through the knots?
    Also look into the 'tangle teaser' brush I've heard they're great and need to get one for DDs wild mane!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Californication (03-10-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hers is dead straight like mine used to be, but having 2 sisters with curls, and mind getting a wave as I've gotten older, I know your pain! It is a little better during school as I spray with a knit preventative before brushing, so is damp, but still knotty and it's been getting worse.

I'll look up the tango teaser. She has a lady jane brush that said it was good for tangles, and it is less harsh than her old one, but she cries and screams every day no matter how gentle I try to be. The top isn't too bad. It's just the length no middle. Some days it's like a birds nest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughters hair is like this. It's slightly wavy but it's so so fine and knots every night.
    I have a spray bottle with mostly water and just a bit of my good conditioner in it. I spray her hair so it's wet. More wet than just damp. I mix up between using a tangle teezer brush and a fine tooth comb. It's a long process but usually I go over her whole hair with the tangle teezer to get the big bulky knots out. Then I separate a small bit out and comb it with the fine comb, separate the next little bit and comb it, then the next bit etc. it's usually done in 30 or so "little bits" so quite small sections. Then once that is done, I go over it all again with the tangle teezer to make sure I haven't missed anything, then I use the comb to comb it up into a pony or whatever I'm doing in her hair.
    I continuously spray her hair while I'm going so that it stays wet. And each time I section a bit out with the comb, I spray that bit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Definitely look at the tangle teaser or detango brush.
    DD always had hers in a bob because brushing it was too traumatic but changing the brush, using conditioning spray and plaiting it before bed has helped and now I can't convince her to get a trim!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD's hire is like this - we've had to try lots of different conditioners to see what works for her. The detangling sprays work when they're on and wet but seem to make it tangle worse the next day. She has a spray in protein treatment thing which doesn't help a lot immediately but makes her hair easier to brush the next day. She always chose to wear her hair in a bob but it still tangled (just took less time to brush so less pain) but has now, at 9, decided to endure the pain for long hair. The best thing we got was a 'Denman Tangle Tamer' brush. A playgroup mum put me onto them and I had to order it from the UK, but it is so worth it. I'd tried other tangle tamer brushes but these are amazing by comparison.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD and I both have hair like this. She (and I) end up with knots the size of an adult hand if we miss a day brushing our hair.

DD10 is in tears most days with the knots in her hair.

She needs to wash it every 3 days or so, which helps a little.

We have one of those Detango brushes and that made her scream the house down.

The brush that causes her the least amount of pain is this one http://www.ladyjayne.com.au/s/mcp-au...SABEgJmP_D_BwE

She also uses Schwarzkopf Hair Repair normal balance leave in treatment before she (or I) brush her hair on days where her knots are really bad and like a birdsnest.

What made the most amount of difference for her was using a shampoo and conditioner that are free from silicone

We also have to take our own brush to the hairdresser or she ends up with tears ********* down her face.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Products for fine, knotty hair

@PomPoms that's the brush we have. What shampoo do you use? I've been using Garnier on hers, but not sure if it has silicone or not. Just thought a fruit based one would be gentler on her hair.

Thanks for the suggestion of brushes ladies. I've had a hand one like the tangle teaser before and wasn't a fan of not having a handle, so have just bought a Denman and detango online, so will see how they go.
    Last edited by Californication; 03-10-2017 at 23:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    @PomPoms that's the brush we have. What shampoo do you use? I've been using Garnier on hers, but not sure if it has silicone or not. Just thought a fruit based one would be gentler on her hair.

Thanks for the suggestion of brushes ladies. I've had a hand one like the tangle teaser before and wasn't a fan of not having a handle, so have just bought a Denman and detango online, so will see how they go.
    One thing I'll say is let your DD brush her own hair and be in charge of it. If she wants long hair then she needs to brush it so you can plait it before bed and she needs to brush it in the morning so you can plait it. Everyday brushing and plaiting!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Californication (04-10-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post

My understanding any ingredient ending in "cone" includes silicone.

Sometimes she uses my hairdresser shampoo Nak Care for coloured hair and occasionally the purple shampoo for blonde hair. These work great in her hair, but it is not as cheap as supermarket ones.

The supermarket one she uses is this one http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/b...-Shampoo-400ml

My DD doesn't need volume, but it has no silicone.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Californication (04-10-2017)