+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default reimbursements and stuff egg donors.

Hi all,

Just putting this out there. I know in Australia your not allowed to pay for egg or sperm donors.

I am cool with paying travelling costs and accommodation costs. Plus food. Because otherwise she wouldnt be travelling.

I have brought gifts and am making one.

Would you pay for other things like takeaway money if donor became to bloated to cook?

Would you pay for baby sitters if needed for donors children?

Would you give gift vouchers?

Would this be overstepping the boundaries or completely normal?

would love to hear from anyones thoughts on this good bad or otherwise. If they have any other ideas on this. Or what they did or did not do?

Just asking

Mysticfalls.

Don't want to be the bad recipent or the over stepping recipent.

Thanks
    Reviews

Will I get paid to donate?

Egg donation in Australia and New Zealand is altruistic and it is illegal to either offer or request payment. Generally, depending on the clinic and recipients, donors are reimbursed for travelling expenses, any medical costs incurred in their name, time taken off work for appointments, Egg Pick Up and a day's recovery as well as child care if necessary. Donors should not be out of pocket because of their donation.

found this and it does state time off work and childcare so I guess that answers that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought egg donation was anonymous unless it's a friend/family member of course

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have someone I know who is my egg donor. Its not anonmyous in Australia as far as I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't expect takeaway/ vouchers. A nice gift to say thank you would be more than enough.

I would expect that your donor has gone into this process knowing what possible side effects there may be and has arranged her life accordingly (freezer meals/partner cook).
    Travel, accommodation costs, medical costs and childcare costs for medical procedures are all I would expect to receive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd pay all the obvious expenses incurred with cycling - so the cycle cost, scans, medications, and any additional blood tests.

All travel for medical appointments, food on the day of travel, and accommodation if required.

Reimbursement for time off work, and child care for their kids during any appointments as well as EPU day.

A small 'thank you' gift is a nice gesture (for example, a heat pack, pain relief, a magazine, favourite box of chocolates, photo frame) as well as a nice hand written card.

I also think ensuring the donor's family eats the night after EPU is a kind thought, so maybe a voucher for pizza that night. I wouldn't expect my donor to have to get up out of bed after EPU to cook for her family.

At the end of the day I'd be aiming to restore your donor to the same financial position she was in prior to the cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been a donor for my sister. I make a lot of eggs so feel very bloated and heavy. Obviously I don't *need* anything. But a cleaner would have helped. You lose a lot of time going to the clinic for scans.

I wouldn't want take away, I would want home made nutritious food. Like some frozen lasagne, or things like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had experience personally with egg donation but if I had/did I get my donor a day spa voucher for a couple hours of relaxation

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have donated 9 times. I have received vouchers, gifts etc etc- to be honest with you the best thing every time is the card. The words expressing what this has meant to them are things I keep and remember.
    I have to admit I have been out of pocket every time, this is in no way a reflection on my recipients, they are amazing! But I have paid for parking or a cab or petrol or whatever and not charged because it seems insignificant.
    I have learnt to start asking for money for extra childcare, or ask for wages reimbursement instead of using my sick leave though, these are things that your donor may not know how to broach.
    I have felt awkward asking for thins that should be covered, an I have felt awkward accepting gift that felt extravagant. That's probably not much help! But I think find a middle ground if possible.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spotsmum For This Useful Post:

Kaybaby (29-09-2017),Mod-Wise Enough (27-09-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I donated and knowing the amazing amounts they had to pay for things no I would not accept (nor would I be allowed )to accept any payment for anything petrol or panadol nop nothing your explained at the beginning what is involved if you happen to have a close relationship and you decide to buy things that’s your decision but I knew going in appointments etc I was signing up for so did not expect anything from them
    I agreed/offered so I am responsible for making my own arrangements for things having my then toddler watched and transport etc I did not ask for anything back

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelis13 For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum (29-09-2017),MysticFalls (07-10-2017)