+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Centrelink benefits - donor babies

Hey everyone!
    New to the group (yay) and just had a question re Centrelink benefits such as FTB and childcare rebates if you've had a donor, IVF, IUI or adoption child. Do you still get the benefits from Centrelink? I'd asked the question in a group on Facebook that wasn't just people going through the same and basically got shamed for wanting help when I chose to have a baby on my own.
    As far as I'm aware, you're entitled to the assistance regardless of how the child came along? I was told that because I planned it, I'd get no support. It was from a bunch of judgy people so I thought I'd check with people actually going through the same.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a baby last year using donor eggs and I received paid parental leave and a bit of ftb. I'm pregnant again and am just about to do the application on my gov again. It doesn't matter if the baby is via ivf/donor etc, Centrelink doesn't require that info, if you are pregnant that's all they need to know. Donor info doesn't go on the birth certificate either.
    Even if you adopt or foster you receive Centrelink assistance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Treens73 For This Useful Post:

SingleNoMingle (31-08-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And how rude of those people!! A lot of pregnancies are planned whether it's ivf or natural.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Treens73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Treens73 View Post
    And how rude of those people!! A lot of pregnancies are planned whether it's ivf or natural.
    I know right!
    It was so crap. I'm glad I asked the question anonymously as I didn't want everyone to know yet and that was a smart move it seems!

So firstly I got abused because I was 'expecting help from the government after I'd spent so much money on fertility treatments' and then it was a lecture on not having a father figure. I figured I'd be better off in a like minded forum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Treens73 View Post
    I had a baby last year using donor eggs and I received paid parental leave and a bit of ftb. I'm pregnant again and am just about to do the application on my gov again. It doesn't matter if the baby is via ivf/donor etc, Centrelink doesn't require that info, if you are pregnant that's all they need to know. Donor info doesn't go on the birth certificate either.
    Even if you adopt or foster you receive Centrelink assistance.
    Thank you for your comment!
    I figured as much but it was a surprise none the less. I figured it was important to get all the facts and plan accordingly. Especially with the child care rebate as I definitely need that it I am going to work! Thank you and congrats on the new pregnancy

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    you are entitled to the various maternity leave and childcare rebates no matter how your child comes into the world.

Sometimes you may have to jump through some hoops with centrelink in relation to proving donor sperm etc to show that you cannot claim child support from another parent - but otherwise you dont need to tell anyone how your baby was conceived.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Centrelink don't ask how the baby was conceived nor do they need to know..... some people are so freaking rude, what terrible things to say to you!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ceejie For This Useful Post: