+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Opinions sought re: what expenses are fair - child support and large expenses

I just wanted some feedback from independent people about what they think is fair. Ex pays child support for two children predominantly in my care. The assessment isn't massive because he has a multichild assessment which caps what he pays regardless of the cost of the children. Child A and B are in public school. Child A has camp/s that come up costing '000s each (one definite, one probably a year away). If you were the ex would you be willing to contribute to the cost? By contribute, when I first approached him I suggested 1/3 (him), 2/3(me). Ex thinks camps are unnecessary and I should be saying no to child. These are smart children, I want to do well, and haven't been unrealistic as they are in public school. I don't take the **** and ask for books or uniform etc, only for large things that I think the csa assessment is not taking into account. So, is it fair to ask the ex for a contribution? I am worried in the event child B gets opportunities even amazing budgeting won't be able to work for both children expenses if I am paying all of it. I personally was disappointed it didn't seem to be about the child it seemed to be all about the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes it reasonable to ask. Unfortunately it also reasonable for him to say no as he is paying child support already - child support is calculated to cover the costs of public schooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It reasonable to ask and a decent parent would see that it is important and contribute if they can. I don't think he legally has to though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely fine to ask. Reasonable in fact. But not sure there's much you can do if he says no. If he's paying correct child support he may believe that's all he's obliged to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes and I generally agree with the child support is meant to cover the basic expenses, but when someone is late lodging their tax, has been getting money off the books by the looks, and seems to be sending extra after csa $ Child C's way it doesn't seem right to shut down conversation about large expenses. But I appreciate the textbook answer is csa is a minimum entitlement without lodging a COA. I just wanted to know if your child had those expenses if you would support it or expect a mum to just say 'no'. I didn't think it was spoiling I thought it was supporting a child.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Opinions sought re: what expenses are fair - child support and large expenses

It is terribly unfair that your ex is making it more about the money and less about the experience for his child/ren. I don't bother with child support from my ex anymore, however I am repartnered and my DH is more of a father then my DDs bio father ever was. If I was in a position that I needed CS, I would feel very much the same as you! I'm sorry you're going through this!

ETA It is reasonable of you to ask given the pittance that child support usually is.