+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Problems with ex

Hi,
    Because I don't post much here's a quick history, I'm 18, my son is 2, and I have 100% care of our son.

My ex after ages has decided to see our son when she wants to always on short notice, I'm ok with that and each time she says she will take him for several hours usually till about 7pm.
    When she does that I sometimes get calls to go to work till like 6 and I go because I need to work desperately.
    She often 2 hours later then calls me at work and wants to drop him back to me so she can so something with her boyfriend or friends, so I have to leave work then she's complaining when I get home because she had to wait.
    I love that she wants to see him again but when she just wants to just drop him whenever she wants is becoming a problem, I'm tempted to say no more and set fixed days and fixed times with her.
    I want her to be able to see him any time, I let her into my house no strings even when I'm gone, she can even have her boyfriend here too when I'm not here if she spends the time with him, life is in chaos because she's so fickle am I being unfair? I feel like I am walking on eggshells with her and if I tell her want I really feel I think she might walk away again which I don't want for our son.

Secondly, I am profoundly deaf, I have been since birth, my son has moderate/severe hearing loss and is slowly getting worse, I have cochlear implants now it's been suggested my son should get them too, and I think he should my ex thinks he shouldn't I have explained it to her but she doesn't want him to have the surgery because she thinks he will experience too much pain. I think that's dumb but she won't sign the form which the surgeon wants unless I have a sole custody order that I don't have.
    I don't know what to do.
    Any ideas?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason98 For This Useful Post:

Hetty (08-08-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    On the last point, there's not a lot that you can do except try to explain/get her to speak to doctors etc. in the hopes she'll come around. That must be so hard though.

For an alternative view - I have a cousin who is Deaf. When she was little, her parents debated cochlear implants and decided against it in the end. They were pretty conflicted. As an adult (she's in her 30s now), she's happy that they didn't go ahead with the implants as she's a keen scuba diver, and wouldn't have been able to scuba dive had she had them.

As for the timing thing... she's seriously messing you about - being incredibly immature and selfish. I can absolutely understand why you want her involved, but you shouldn't have to run your life on her whims. If she's willing to pick up some of the responsibility of being a parent (such as putting off other plans because she needs to care for him), then perhaps your see-him-whenever approach may work. If, however, she's going to fall back on you as being the only responsible one when she finds something better to do, three I'd be setting set times/dates, or ensuring that every plan genuinely works for you before you agree to it.

All the best.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81 (08-08-2017),Mason98 (07-08-2017),SuperGranny (10-08-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tough one. But I would try for a sole custody order so you can start parenting in a way that's best for your son. That means routine, and medical decisions.

I've not gone through custody issues before, but I think keeping track of everything would be a great start. Records of texts and phone calls. Keep an accurate history of everything

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Mason98 (07-08-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I like what @Wise Enough suggested - Try to seek sole custody. Also, well done for being such a responsible young dad. I hope things work out for you. All the best!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

Hetty (08-08-2017),JR03 (09-08-2017),Mason98 (08-08-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there..
    If you wanted to go down the road of full custody, its very hard to get and is very costly. The first step is to go through mediation. If she doesnt agree to what you want the take it to court.
    Its sad that she wont sign the paperwork to get that done for her son. I applaud you for being a great day at such a young age. My partner had to go through this with his daughter when his ex decided she only wanted her one night a week.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Emma1217 For This Useful Post:

Mason98 (08-08-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She sounds like she is being immature and selfish. I would get some mediation happening even if you don't want to go down the sole custody route, try giving legal aid a call for some advise. Your son needs consistency and you do too in order to plan your life (work, etc) so I think some rules and routine regarding visitation would be a good idea.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TableDancer For This Useful Post:

KE17 (09-08-2017),Mason98 (08-08-2017),SuperGranny (10-08-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really want to do sole custody but I almost feel forced and I haven't done mediation before or any formal stuff but maybe it is time for it.
    All this scares me I don't want to do it but he needs to get the implants but she hasn't said no to signing for them but she just don't want to do it.

Thanks for all the great advice.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason98 For This Useful Post:

granny1 (09-08-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is being selfish. Its not about her its about putting your sons best interest first. Thats what he needs done then there really shouldnt be a question.
    Which state do you live in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma1217 View Post
    She is being selfish. Its not about her its about putting your sons best interest first. Thats what he needs done then there really shouldnt be a question.
    Which state do you live in?
    Queensland.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.qld.gov.au/law/legal-medi...ourt/mediation

Have a read this will give you information on what its for, why etc
    From my experience stand your ground if you do mediation theyre supposed to be a third party more often than not they will try and side with the mother.
    Make sure you go in with a list.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Emma1217 For This Useful Post:

Mason98 (08-08-2017)