+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breaking sleep dependency - aged 4+

Does your older child go to sleep alone?

I want to encourage my kids to be more independent at bedtime. I think we have really made a mistake. 6yr old thinks he can't fall asleep without someone rubbing his back.

Nearly 4yr old has always had me lay down next to her.

Has anyone gone through this and broken these habits successfully with OLDER kids?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breaking sleep dependency - aged 4+

Yes my 6 year old needed someone to lay with her to fall asleep every night.
    It was exhausting for everyone as it could take a while.
    The things that worked for us were using a reward chart (7 nights of falling asleep alone and she got a treat) and also explaining to her that she couldn't go on sleepovers until she can go to sleep on her own.
    We also leave the light on for her and don't expect her to go to sleep straight away. She often sings/talks to herself for 30 mins before she falls asleep but I don't mind as long as she stays in her bed.
    She's very used to it now and is happy to go to bed now. It's all a lot less stressful at bedtime now.

It also seems like we are creating the same habit in our younger child but I still don't know how to avoid it. Both my kids have been very clingy at night.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (17-07-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I said I had to go and do xyz and I would be back in one minute. I gradually increased my time away until they fell asleep by themselves.

Another technique I used was to introduce a chair for me to sit on instead of lying beside them on the bed. I very gradually (ie over a number of weeks) positioned the chair a teeny tiny bit closer to the door until I wasn't in the room anymore.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (17-07-2017),Candiceo  (17-07-2017),granny1  (17-07-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing! My 4yo won't go to sleep on her own, ever since we moved her into a bed when she was 2. She won't let us leave the room or even sit on a chair next to her. She sometimes says "I'm going to put myself to sleep tonight" and we cheer and encourage her, then when it gets to bedtime she decides she's too scared. She knows monsters aren't real and wolves aren't in Australia (her two fears lol) but she still brings them up when she says she's scared.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (18-07-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all I'm glad it's not just my kids. We never really minded putting them to sleep as little ones but as they are getting bigger it is becoming more of a battle.

Ds (6yrs) has been invited to sleep overs but we know he isn't capable of going to sleep alone so we say no.

Tried last night to leave him be instead of back patting. he stayed awake until 10pm. We'd had enough so eventually laid a hand on his head and he fell asleep instantly. Made me realise how bad this situation is.

Don't want dd to go the same way so feel like we have to really address this asap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have to lie down with our 5 almost 6yr old and like you it means we are so limited in being able to have him sleep anywhere else. He also has wormed his way back into our bed but tells me he'll go back into his room when he's 15 I'm kind of hoping for sooner than that!

Do you think a weighted blanket might help your older one - sort of mimicking the weight of your hand?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (17-07-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to lay down with my 3 yr old DS, he won't settle with Daddy so it's always me & as he gets older it is taking much longer.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MyDino For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (18-07-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is 4 and won't go to bed on his own. For now I am leaving it be. I am subbing for ideas though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (18-07-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes! My 3.5yo is terrible when it comes to sleep. Always has been. Often comes into our bed during the night. I've tried everything - rewards charts, you name it. Even when to sleep school when she was 9 months.

I think I may have found a solution last night, unexpectedly. It was dh bday so I offered to sit at the end of her bed to put her to sleep (it's normally dh that does it). But I was also tired and wanted a shower badly. So I told her I would only be sitting for 10 minutes and once 10 mins is up, I need to have a shower but will come check on her after I'm done. I took my time and once I was done I checked on her to discover she was asleep. Did the same thing again tonight. It's just like they say when they are babies "get them drowsy but still awake when you put them in the cot". I stayed until she begun to get sleepy, and she did the rest herself.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (18-07-2017)