+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sick child advice where to go for help?

Hi all I have 3 young girls 10, 8 and 7... At the moment I am extremely concerned about my 7 year old... I have a Drs appointment Tuesday but just wanted to hear if anyone else has had these issues and if so what was the outcome.

So a few months ago my daughter got sick she was fine through out the day then out of no where came to me screaming in pain in her head and belly... I tried to calm her and couldn't Se we ended up calling an ambulance got to hospital where she vomited several times in a short time and the nurse puts us in the waiting room... After this she was ok for an hour then it came back got told she had a viral infection so gave her some ice blocks and sent us home.. Then 3 weeks later it happened again then 3 weeks after that again and the dr diagnosed her with cyclic vomiting syndrome great I thought at least we know we can be prepared yet over the last week or so the cycle is now happening every couple of days... Roughly same time always at night or early morning she starts shaking like she is cold but is sweating so goes grey in the face and eyes are black all around the sockets and she screams in pain in her head tummy and back and once she has vomited a few times in a row she tells me she is tired and goes into a deep sleep within minutes. She has has a little weight loss and low temps on and off for weeks...,my mothers intuition is saying something isn't right even when she is well she doesn't look bright she is tiny build and can't afford to loose any weight as it is and even though she was ok today her eyes are so dark and sunken.

Do you think I am over doing it and maybe it is just diet related? Or should I go to the dr and asked she gets tests done I know with children they kind of brush our concerns off as we are just the parents I am watching her sleep next to me right. kW and my heart breaks knowing that something isn't right and I want to get to the bottom of it she is terrified when she gets the Way she does I want to make it better but I'm also scared of not being taken seriously!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to my3girls85 For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely get the doctor to run tests

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would demand that tests be run. Cyclic vomiting syndrome is what they diagnose someone with when there is no other explanation for what is going on. My understanding also is that there is no pain involved in cyclic vomiting.
    If I were you I wouldn't take no for an answer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would seek a second opinion. If her head hurts, then that rings alarm bells. Go as soon as possible if you can. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like paediatric migraines to me.
    My 6 year old suffers from these and they often include stomach pains and vomiting along with head pain.
    I would ask for a referral to a Neurologist asap.
    Feel free to ask me any questions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

my3girls85  (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It definitely sounds like something that should be investigated further. Perhaps you could consider a GP/paed and also seeing a holistic GP. In my experience doctors can be limited to a "find the problem and fix with meds" approach and a holistic doctor or even naturopath is more likely to look at the overall picture including her diet, which of course has fewer side effects than medicating (or worse getting no answer at all!). Best of all to get an opinion from both sides. Best of luck x

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

my3girls85  (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely not over reacting.
    Cyclic vomiting syndrome sounds like a lazy diagnoses to me, she needs help. I'd be pushing too.
    Good luck, keep us updated! I hope she is ok. xox

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

my3girls85  (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely not overreacting - I was getting anxious just reading your story. Your poor baby girl.

My son had unexplained vomiting and stomach pain and I kept getting told it was gas or the after effects of a virus... I had to go to 5 different doctors pleading with them to test for allergies as I felt sure it was something he was eating... the sixth doctor ran blood tests and a lactose check and gave me a referral to the allergy clinic... I'm pretty sure just to shut me up and low and behold he had Celiacs Disease... very high serology results as well.

Not that I'm saying this is what your daughter has but goes to show that mums do have an instinct - if your gp fobs you off then keep trying until one orders the tests she needs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

my3girls85  (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do get it checked. While it's unlikely to be anything this sinister and I don't want to cause fear, I know of a child who had similar symptoms and was originally thought to have a bug of some sort but ended up having a brain tumour. Very sad.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

my3girls85  (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are seeing the dr tomorrow all know how we go