+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How should I be laundering

Just like having a baby doesn't come with an instruction manual neither does being a grown up.
    Having having children of my own I've realised how bad of a parenting job my mother actually did.
    I use good quality laundry liquids yet clothes come out still looking dirty ( they smell nice though).
    My washing technique is throw clothes in, put in laundry liquid and go.
    What do you do and how should I do laundry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How should I be laundering

Following.

This is me too! You seriously aren't the only one.
    I have no clue, my mother was useless around the house (well useless in general all round parenting, liked to lounge around watching Bert newton,then the midday show then the soaps on the telly).

I find my kids clothes in particular always look dirty and stained despite a good washing machine and using premium liquid.

I don't want to be "that" mum with unclean kids and a chaotic house, but I'm not sure how to adult either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    how dirty are they when they go in? maybe they need a soak first? our stuff isn't "dirty" at all really. i do dh and my stuff in a wash (just use washing powder and fabric softener) and do ds' stuff in his own wash (powder only, no fabric softener). i used to buy him his own washing powder but stopped doing that as he doesn't have sensitive skin or eczema etc.

i wash towels and drying up cloths etc separately too.

i was in hot water which i find makes a huge difference. my mum always used cold water only () and stuff came out dirty still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am certainly not 'the best' but am ok.

Do you overload the machine?

I am someone who sorts as well. Generally it is:

Darks - general
    Darks - delicates
    Colours - general
    Colours - delicates
    Whites - general
    Whites - delicates

Towels/sheets also get sorted by dark/colour/whites.

Any stained clothing will either be soaked for a bit in Napisan or spray the stain.

If my load is super full I make sure I use more water.

I sometimes throw in Napisan. I also use less laundry liquid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i never sort on colour unless it's a particularly expensive/special/delicate item and i don't want to take chances. i find most things don't run. jeans are always washed separately and on colour though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do four separate loads throughout the week - whites, darks, colours, sheets/towels. There's only three of us and I have a 7kg front loader. I use OMO Sensitive as DD & I are eczema sufferers.

If DD's clothes get any marks on them - food, dirt, grass etc, they get soaked in a bucket of cold water overnight with one scoop of Sard powder. Unless it's something with a sparkly / shimmery print (Cotton On Kids stuff is covered in it) - Sard will soak that stuff off! Learned that the hard way! I've also got some Sard spray that I'll use for the stuff that can't be soaked.

If it's a tough stain I'll put some Sard powder in the wash cycle as well.

My machine is getting on in years so sometimes I'll do an extra rinse & spin cycle after the load is done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For anything stained (I have 4 kids and a pure white doona cover) I soak in the laundry tub for two hours in cold water with Napisan.
    Everything else just gets thrown in. I don't sort at all. In all my years of doing laundry, I've had colours run once and the only damage done was a white skivy turned brown. I do two loads of washing every day. The time saved by not sorting has more than paid for that single item.

I just chuck everything into my front loader. It goes on a "mixed" cycle (roughly 1.5hr on my machine) and I put just normal powder in the slot. If it's got blankets in the load (and no towels) I'll chuck some fabric softener in. If it's something that's a tiny bit stained, I'll chuck some Napisan in as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest it's something I've become better at as I've got older I've made soooo many mistakes and had to learn the hard way.

These days my whites are bright, my blacks and bright colours are not faded.

Some of the things I do:

Separation is key. So blacks, dark general, dark delicate, whites, light colour general and light colour delicate. Towels and sheets also colour separated. Cleaning towels, tea towels etc.. a separate wash also.

Black clothes get washed on their own with a specialty black washing liquid.

Jeans always inside out and as infrequently as possible.

Bright colours washed with liquid that doesn't have oxidisers.

Whites on 60 degree cycle. The only thing that keeps white sheets, clothes and towels white is hot water!

Reading the care label and making sure you wash at the appropriate temp. Some things need 30 degrees others 40 or 60 degrees.

If there is a stubborn stain on something I use Napisan Vanish pen. Works really well. If it is really stubborn I make a paste with napisan vanish powder and a little water. Always spot test colours first.

The other thing I do is we have very clear sets of clothing for certain things. So I don't take the boys to the park or let them play in the muck in the courtyard in white or light coloured clothes. Play clothes are all dark. We change out of our 'good' clothes as soon as we come home. We have 'house' clothes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Hopefulat40  (23-08-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Stain remover spray on marks
    Bio zet powder
    Soak in washing machine if really dirty
    Hang in sun

Thanks
    Reviews
    The main thing i make myself aware of is not overloading the machine.

Ive found that if i fill it too much things dont get washed as well. So i consciously do medium small sized loads.

I use liquid instead of powder as i find in my machine it does a better job.
    I wash in cold water.
    If things are noticeable filthy which happens as we live on a farm those things get a soak overnight.
    DH farm & work clothes get their own wash to the rest of the family