+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Suggestions Please!

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here & could really do with some suggestions.

My 5 year old daughter is doing great in her second term of prep / foundation. She didn't know any kids from kinder at the school & is making friends.

Apparently a girl in her class called her a "slow reader" last week & she is now upset & doesn't like the girl.

Not that it matters, but My daughter is actually doing really well with her reading. She even got 100% on her first reading eggs quiz!
    She does read slowly and carefully.. & some weeks she isn't all that focussed & forgets words she previously learned...she is 5!
    From my understanding, Most of the kids do fluctuate in their learning at this stage, no matter what comprehension level they are at.

There are a couple of "faster" readers in the class & I think this other girl is one of them.

For some reason, I became completely stuck on what to advise her to do! I think I momentarily got upset & I ended up saying "well I know you are not a slow reader and you know you are not. We just need to keep practising like everyone does. It is not very nice of <insert girls name> To say that & if she says something like that to you again, you can tell her that isn't nice & that you are doing your best" .... ugh this joust doesn't feel like enough though.. I don't know what to say/Do.

I want to advise her the right thing to 'nip it in the Bud'; so to speak.

My daughter then told me she wants to say to the girl that she doesn't like this girl, that she is mean & she won't ever play with her again 😳 ...

I want to encourage her to be resilient, but also not to let anyone take her kind nature for granted. So yeah she is 5 and in Prep; all has been going really well with school otherwise.

I just want to help her the best I can & I have zero experience in this area.

In your opinion, what is the best way to deal with this (especially given they are all little kids)

...If I mention it to the teacher, should I say or request anything specific ?

(Clearly my first school aged child lol)

If you have read this, I truly appreciate your time & effort!!
    Thanks so much❤️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would say something like "Some people read fast, and some people read slowly. And that's ok. Everyone is different. The most important thing is that you do your best, and don't worry about what other people think".

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (29-05-2017),Mama87  (29-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really love that. Perfect for a 5 year old to comprehend too. Thank you heaps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama87 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (29-05-2017)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    agree with JustJaq. Sometimes the shortest, most direct, one sentence answer, is the best. At five, everything is in the 'now' . There is no need to over think any situation, because it will be changed in the next ten minutes. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama87 View Post
    I really love that. Perfect for a 5 year old to comprehend too. Thank you heaps
    No worries. Can be used for all sorts of situations too! ☺