+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just lost a huge post.

In summary - I lived in Canberra when mine were babies and toddlers. I also coslept and just dressed mine in wondersuits and singlets for bed. I'm reasonably certain I put socks on under the wondersuit as well. If it got too cold I just put an extra blanket on the bed. In winter, I typically had flannelette sheets, blanket and a doona on the bed. We never had the heating on overnight and just had it on a timer to come back on around 5am. I personally found it made the house too stuffy if it was on 24 hours a day. A lot of Canberrans do leave theirs on though. It is supposed to be cheaper to run doing that as you just maintaining the temp and aren't continually reheating a cold house.

Day time - not much of an issue if staying indoors because most places are heated. The only problem is if you are going outdoors. I found the biggest challenge was to keep their feet warm. Mine had a knack of losing every style of shoe and baby shoe on the market. Layers are your friend. If he isn't cruising furniture yet, I would be tempted to dress him in a wondersuit then something along the lines of skivvy and tracksuit or overalls, skivvy and jumper over the top. Add a beanie and jacket if you are going outside.

The only success I had with baby shoes was something similar to these:
    http://www.cheekylittlesoles.com.au/...shoes-143.aspx

By success, I mean they stayed on for a length of time before falling off, instead of falling off straight away.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh wow! Thanks so much everyone.

I don't like the heater on overnight it just gets so stuffy as it's reverse cycle airconditioning. Dries out everything! I think getting a thermometer for the bedroom is a great idea will try and do that today.

Reading these posts I don't think the waking is being cold at all. His little cheeks and back of neck are warm sigh guess that a while other issue.

As for day time wow I am definitely not dressing him warmly enough time to go shopping methinks.

We are definitely not prepared for winter. We are outdoors a lot as DS2 goes crazy if we stay inside all day so I definitely will need to get DS3 some sort of jacket or coat. I always put a beanie on him but have only had socks on his feet so will try and find some booties or similar. Tights are also a great idea!

All I can think is how many of each I'm going to need lol he goes through 2-3 outfits on a good day

After two babies in Far North Qld and being worried about them getting too hot this is a serious change of mindset.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I don't like the heater on overnight it just gets so stuffy as it's reverse cycle airconditioning. Dries out everything! I think getting a thermometer for the bedroom is a great idea will try and do that
    Do be mindful of your power bills doing it that way. As a PP said, the reverse cycle aircons have to work so much harder to reheat a cold house, and will undoubtedly use more energy. They are designed to heat the 'air', not provide radiant heat to a certain area. Try turning it down to the lowest temperature and fan setting in heat mode, maybe a humidifier if you find it dries everything out too much? Or just a bowl of warm water underneath where the unit is - a GP told me this last winter when DD struggled with a dry cough at night (we ended up just using a vapouriser).

But yes, back to the electricity, maybe check your providers website for an 'estimate your usage' section to avoid a huge shock come bill time? Living in a cold climate is a whole new ball game during winter!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby slept in the Uh-oh sleeping bags - tog 3.5 and it's basically like sleeping in a doona. Softest cotton - she loved it.IMG_1495862122.647544.jpg you can buy them online David Jones. I like them because they're full sleeves, super soft yet really warm for super cold nights. Still put her in a singlet and full length onsie.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phia For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, I also used an egg thermometer as it's colour based (and tells temp). Basically anything that was 18C plus was good.
    Our house is old so prone to being cold!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phia For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)