+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dressing a baby for cold weather - help!

Two part questions!

Nighttime

So this is the first time I've had a baby while living somewhere cold in winter. I'm flying blind and wondering if his recently worse sleeping is because he is cold. Admittedly he's an awful sleeper full stop BUT now is horrendous (waking every 45 minutes or so).

So he is 9.5 months, we live in Canberra. We have ducted heating but no stand alone heaters. At the moment I pop the heating on for an hour or so before bed to take the chill out but it's off by the time we go up to bed. It's currently 6 degrees outside, no idea of inside temp. We are heading for sub zero overnights this week.

At the moment he wears a singlet suit and bonds wondersuit to bed. That is all BUT he sleeps in bed with me and is under a doona. He stays under the doona - head, shoulders and arms out - and is snugged up against me 75% of the night.

I worry about putting more on him in case he over heats.

Thoughts?

Daytime

Daytime maximums are anywhere from 14-17 at the moment but steadily dropping.

No flaming clue how to keep him warm! How would you dress you 9.5 month old to go outside in these temps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

also so in Canberra. My son is just 20months. He also sleeps in a wonder suit and a singlet. We are wusses (from QLD) and we have the heating going all night or at a minimum it goes on again around 3am (timer) to warm the house before we get up. Under a doona though and with you, I would say your son is fine.

as for day wear, clothes can be expensive here and your son will go through a lot. The majority of his winter stuff we got off gumtree and I am glad we did as DS grows fast. When outside, he wears pants, socks and shoes, singlet, shirt, jumper and jacket with hoodie. Inside just shorts and shirt with singlet or onesie and singlet.

Arm You can pick up tracksuit pants for around $6 atm at kmart, bigw, best less etc and jackets are around $10...

Deskar

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deskar For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it a ducted heat pump? I'd be leaving it on overnight for starters! During those sorts of temps my DD slept in what you're describing for your DS but she was also a winter weight sleeping bag (they have a rating, I think this was a 2.5 or something? I'm out of touch now!) She would also come into my bed too but I didn't have a heavy doona.

Use what you're wearing as a guide. Same for daytime. Buy plenty of warm pants and jumpers, even cute little slippers or ugg boots you can use for going out. Don't forget a beanie, and keep him sheltered in the pram by using the rain cover if it's super freezing. You can get plenty of cosy winter clothes for bubs that age

5. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Different state here....but my kids were born in winter, I had put a baby blanket underneath them (extra warmth) a singlet, a jumpsuit, socks, wrapped up) (newborns)

But for your age of child, i would do the same. Blanket underneath, fleece pjs, singlet, tshirt, socks, a nice warm blanket) a child that age can move and would certainly make it known to you if they are uncomfortable.

My kids are older now and I'm still doing the same, however they were thermal tops also.

(From the age of 2) you can get thermals from Kathmandu.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are in Canberra at the moment (visiting from qld) we have had the heater on all night in our room. I dress my 5 month old in singlet onsie, long sleeve onsie with feet, 1.5tog sleepbag, wrap and then cot sheet folded in 2, 6 cotton blankets and he is still waking a bit cold. He has been in with me a bit (unwrapped) and still in sleep bag with our doona over top. I would try and add a long sleeve onsie under his zippy to start with.

For going out: during the day, always a beanie and I have a onsie snow suit for him so if we are out at the park etc he is in that. He also has mittens. He's not crawling but could easily in it. I also have a footmuff for the pram which keeps him warm if out in that. We are heading up to snowy mountains next week and will be doing some hiking so merino wool layers are essential. The best thing for the cold with kids is layers either wool or cotton and lots of it. Try and avoid polyester etc as they make them sweaty rather than warm. My girls are older but I've found it easiest to wear 2 layers of socks (thin ones then thick) and use gum boots or those Grosby leather boots that can be kicked on and off going in and out of the house and car. They're much easier though cause they can tell you if they're cold.

It's hard to know with kids my eldest is a cold body and my middle is a hot bod and bub is in between so it's not always a matter of one extra layer than you're wearing!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hats and Mittens for going out

When my baby was small i always put hats and mittens on and socks.

If head hands and feet are warm whole body is warm. But no hat on when baby is sleeping over night and you are sleeping too.

Thick flanelette onsies...from kmart..best and less ..bigw and target also good..very warm and dry straight away in dryer.....

Sleeping bag onsies also good as i dont like too many layers...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Butterfly Baby For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes....sleeping bags are great too. I bought a cheapie one from best n less. That worked well, then noticed 1 child of mine would uncover themselves so I bought the $$$ 2.5 tog.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We're in Sydney and bub wears a singlet, onesie with feet, socks, a love to dream swaddle and two blankets and when I change his nappy he's warm to touch but never sweaty. Our house isn't insulated though so is quite cold. Maybe get a thermometer so you can check the inside temp and dress him according to that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are in adelaide so not as cold as you @binnielici! Dd is in her room by herself but as a guide her room has dropped to 16-17 degrees overnight so far (overnight temps as low as 8 so far). We warm her room using a small convection heater plugged into a heatermate to ensure it keeps the room at about 19-20 overnight. She sleeps in long sleeve/long pants pyjamas plus a 3.5 tog long sleeve ergo sleeping bag plus 2 cotton blankets (which she usually kicks off). I check her temp by feeling her chest or upper back under her clothes and she always feels warm not hot and no waking from cold here.
    You could try a sleeping bag over his pj's or warmer pj's to see if that helps. If he starts feeling sweaty or is grumpy you'll know he's too hot.
    Outside I'd be doing a beanie, long sleeve bodysuit, warm jumper and pants (could do tights/leggings under pants on super cold days) plus a jacket/hoody over the top.
    DDs childcare is always cold so she's wearing beanie, singlet, fleece jumper and trackies plus either a gilet or a fleecy hoody or her parka over the top. Target has some warm fluffy lined hoodies in the baby section at the moment for $12 so she has one of those for childcare, a bonds gilet plus a parka from target that was $18.
    She has a snowsuit from next U.K. For the super cold winter mornings when we go to the paddocks with our friend!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we got super cold I added flannellete PJs over their wondersuit. So it was singlet, wondersuit, PJs, sleeping bag. We coslept as well but the place we lived in had terrible insulation.

During the day they would wear a singlet, short sleeves body suit, leggings, long sleeved top, pants, jumper and then add jacket for outside. I recommend investing in a good quality puffer jacket.. Or instead of the body suit and leggings I'd use a wondersuit. Oh and yes a beanie

As you are know, we are also in Canberra. We used an oil heater in bedrooms overnight

eta i meant tighys when i said leggings
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 27-05-2017 at 10:59.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2017)