ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default episiotomy pain and repair after forceps

Hi there

I will post my experience with episiotomy pain after a fórceps delivery, in case that it is of any help or consolation for someone in the same situation

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linamelbs For This Useful Post:

OSmum2017  (04-06-2017),PinkPopsicle  (26-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Background

I gave birth to a baby boy 5 months ago. Bubs was 3.2 kg, 34 cms head circumference. I had a really long delivery, and got an epidural. Unfortunately I was not able to push the baby on my own, and ended up needing forceps to help him get out. Thus the episiotomy. My birth was attended by an OB at a private hospital.

After birth I could barely stand and sit down, I was in a lot of pain, being a new mum I thought it was normal and just soldiered on.

It hurt to sit down, and I got an ache after standing or walking more than 10 minutes. Strong pulling sensation and general pain in the labia (sorry TMI). I thought o well is part of the healing process, it takes different time for different people.

Went to my OB for my 6 weeks checkup, mentioned that I was still in a lot of pain, did not get a Pap smear because I was too sore to go through examination, and OB advised to give it a couple of more weeks, "looks fine to me" (only an external examination was done at this time)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cont.

OB congratulated me on my birth and off I went. However, the pain did not get better, and I decided to visit a womens physio. Unfortunately I got a very young physiotherapist who did not know what she was doing, and thought that it was an overactive pelvic floor. I started with postpartum Pilates to help my pelvic floor relax but the pain did not improve.

3 months down the line, I cracked. I was sobbing one night thinking this is it, I will hurt forever to walk, sex will be off the table and there is nothing I can do. My husband was worried that I was not getting any better and still having difficulty walking and seating on hard surfaces. So we decided to go back to my OB. OB referred me to a gyno, gyno was really busy the day of my consultation; had a quick look and reckoned that it was vulvodynia because it hurted just to be touched. Gave me a cream, and suggested to go to a more senior physiotherapist to deal with this condition. I asked how long would it take to be resolved and OB responded 3-6 months Or more it's complicated. Gave me an information sheet and that was it. Information sheet explained that vulvodynia icould take years to treat.
    I was sobbing out of desperation and uttter loss of hope by the time I got home, but decided to try the new physiotherapist any ways.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank god for the new physio

This is where I got lucky. New physiotherapist was really senior, and amazing one. She did a one hour examination and concluded that it was not vulvodynia but bad scarring of the episiotomy (one of the worst she has seen). We did a couple of sessions to stretch the scar, and although it improved, the pain remained. This is when she advised to go back to my gyno. (I had seen my GP several times but she kept insisting that it was normal)

Gyno did a thourough internal exam this time, and found that the episiotomy had healed with fibrosis, and was pulling the muscle, thus the ache walking and sitting down. There was a spider web section of it that made sex impossible and moving very painful. finally at 4 months after birth I was scheduled for a scar revision surgery within a week. They had to cut and re-stitch. I really struggled with the decision to go ahead with the surgery and go through all the healing again, since there was no warranty of improvement (scar could heal with fibrosis again) but I could not resign myself to live in pain.

That was 3 weeks ago. Recovering was not fun and it will take the full 6 weeks. But even now in early days it hurts much less to seat. I am hopeful that I might finally see the end of the tunnel. Will keep posting updates on my progress. ( Gyno did a check at three weeks and found some stitches that did not disolve and removed them.)
    Last edited by Linamelbs; 26-05-2017 at 22:09.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Linamelbs For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-05-2017),curlybird  (26-05-2017),Dizzyfairy  (29-05-2017),Galdoria  (30-05-2017),gypsychild  (26-05-2017),JustJaq  (26-05-2017),Kaybaby  (26-05-2017),LagoonK  (27-05-2017),PinkPopsicle  (26-05-2017),TandR  (05-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default One month later update

I have been feeling great these last couple of days, I can seat in hard surfaces, can walk and only feel a little discomfort at the end of the day if I was very active. I am feeling positive that things will be resolved

The muscle should heal by 6 weeks and I will get some physio after that to strengthen my pelvic floor and mobilise the new scar. So happy to have gone though with the repair surgery.

if anyone is reading after googling this pain, please keep seeking help, change doctor if you have to. Far too often, women's pain complaints are dismissed by doctors and other women as normal. It is not normal to be left in pain after birth and there are options such as physiotherapy and ultimately surgery to help.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Linamelbs For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-06-2017),frankie46  (04-06-2017),Galdoria  (05-06-2017),OSmum2017  (04-06-2017),Phia  (05-06-2017),shay28  (22-06-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (04-06-2017),TandR  (05-06-2017)