+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Who has a kindle?

I'm looking at buying a kindle and I'm pretty technologically challenged so I have no idea which one to get (or if it's what I want!). I'm tossing up between the basic one or the paper white.

I've signed up for the free trial month for unlimited and every book I was after isn't included in the unlimited plan! Did you find this a good plan?

I was leaning more towards the kindle for the fact I can email journal articles for uni and read them. I struggle with articles on my laptop.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a kindle touch. It's great when I'm traveling for work. Takes up much less space than several paper books. I don't have a plan. I just buy books as I want them

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had kindles for about 6 years and recently upgraded to the kindle voyage. They're great when you're out and about as they take up less room in your bag than a book and if you finish your book you can just download another.

Absolutely fantastic when you're travelling which is why I got one in the first place. I would highly recommend them. Plus if you get ebooks that aren't in the right format for the kindle you can download a converter (I use Calibre).

I haven't tried the unlimited yet as I prefer to buy what I want. I wasn't aware that not all books were available on it though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds has the basic one as he is 9. Loves it esp when we travel as he can read what ever he wants. I've put about 200 odd books on their and it only cost me $46. I bought a couple discs from someone on eBay of all the goosebumps Roahl Dahl Harry Potter series. There are website you can get free stuff aswell not just on amazon if you know how to download. Just be wary that if you do get one get that the software is up to date and when I bought ds his we had to update it and found out this after 2 days of trying to figure out what was wrong with it then calling the help line

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a paperwhite, best thing I have ever gotten. I absolutely love it. I fall asleep reading so no more waking up at 3am with the light still on. I take it camping and on cub camps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PipersMummy View Post
    I have a paperwhite, best thing I have ever gotten. I absolutely love it. I fall asleep reading so no more waking up at 3am with the light still on. I take it camping and on cub camps.
    This is the one I have too. I love it. I was one of those 'never getting a Kindle, I love real books' people until DH bought me one for Christmas because he thought it would be easier to hold if I wanted to read while rocking the baby etc. Now I use it all the time!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Eljay300  (26-05-2017),PipersMummy  (26-05-2017),smallpotatoes  (26-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also have a paperwhite, love it! It enables my reading habit as I can just download a new book when I'm finished the last one instead of having to go out and buy or borrow a real book.
    A lot of old classics are available free due to being out of copyright and you can get 99c books too - although be careful a lot of them are badly edited and total crap.
    Mine is on the wifi at home do all I have to do is press buy on the device and it's on the kindle in seconds.
    As pp's have mentioned fabulous for holidays, just download more when you run out! Also they are self illuminating so DH and I can read while the kids are asleep in the same room or one of us wants to sleep we don't disturb the other.
    I still buy hard copies of "special" books, series from my favourite authors etc, and still love getting a book for Christmas though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I think you've all sold me on one! Haha

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I have a paperwhite as well. Its realy quite old but I have never had a moments problem with it. Super easy ...

and so good when travelling or even just out and about as it fits so easily in my bag, so I can sit and read my book when waiting for DD's sport or anything like that.

love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one of the basic ones which must be about 5 years old now and still going strong, I love it. I love 'real' books but it is so perfect for travelling/commuting on public transport when lugging around heavy books is a real pain.

Considering upgrading to a paperwhite but it seems a shame to get rid of it while it still works so well.