+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default CMPI / lactose overload or normal

Hi ladies

Bub is EBF and is thriving with her weight and growth.

However she farts alot everyday, has at least 1 explosive poo per day (mustard yellow, with some stringy / mucus bits) and often needs to feed to settle her tummy before the explosive poo comes.

Does this sound normal or is it an indication of CMPI or lactose overload? She isnt an unsettled baby, and doesnt have eczema etc, just seems to be the mucus in the poo.

ETA: I also seem to get alot of gas too, would this be related at all?

ETA: Bub sleeps very well at night, but only cat naps during the day and overall is a very happy, settled baby. Until the evening before we try and get her to sleep for the night, she cluster feeds and sometimes screams at the breast to try and poo (i find the sucking relaxes her and allows her to poop)

She sleeps during the day if we go out in the car, not sure if its the combination of having a bottle of EBM while out or just that she loves sleeping in the car.
    Last edited by MrsMummaButterfly; 24-05-2017 at 06:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there! I got your question on the other thread but thought I'd reply here.

My DD had green runny/mucousy poo. She barely did any yellow/orange poos while she was small. She would always seem to have a stomach ache and be very gassy.

I was unsure if there was an issue initially as she was also gaining weight and growing very well. But as soon as I cut dairy and soy from my diet, symptoms ceased in about a week and she finally started doing normal coloured poos without mucous.

It appears now at 13 months old she has outgrown the intolerance.

Also, certain foods we ingest can make them gassy/have poo explosions. From memory they can be things like garlic, broccoli, cabbage. Worth looking up as I'm not 100% certain.

If the mucous is a concerning amount, or things don't settle down I'd go for a visit to the GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This to me doesn't sound like CMPI
    I have a CMPI baby and she was far from settled.
    It does however sound like there is something in your diet that isn't agreeing with bubs.
    Cutting out dairy and soy will still probably make you and bubs feel better. I don't think I'll ever go back to cows milk now.
    Bubs is 13 months old and no signs of outgrowing it yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If bub is not unhappy and everything else seems fine, it probably isn't anything to worry about. But have a chat with the GP or MCHN to see what they think.

My DD has not had eczema or blood in her stools. Her stools have always been mucousy (pretty well all mucous really) and usually green. She was having up to 10 explosive poos a day. She has always been unsettled and writhing in pain, and screaming for hours on end. She is unsettled at night - tossing side to side, pulling her legs up and grunting and waking frequently. She often wakes because of wind. She has had poor weight gain and reflux. She had a tongue tie snipped when she was 1.5 weeks, and I have been working on controlling my oversupply since she was a week old.

When I cut out dairy there was a massive improvement almost immediately, and on the occasions when I accidentally had dairy, she went backwards. She is down to 3-4 (still mucousy and often green) stools a day, and is no longer screaming for the majority of the day. She has still been unsettled at night, though her reflux has been well managed with medication, and the oversupply isn't an issue any more. The paed didn't consider intolerances worth further investigating, because she doesn't have eczema or blood in her stools. That said, I'm not going to go back to dairy any time soon because I definitely noticed a difference, and I am trialling no soy to see what happens. I've also noticed that onion seems to cause her a lot of issues.

You could try keeping a food diary, and just jot down next to it what happens with the nappies and bub's behaviour, then review after a couple of weeks and see if there is a pattern?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much ladies. I have been reading this and is very interesting and hits the nail on the head.

https://www.babydoc.com.au/faq/colic...baby-to-sleep/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    If bub is not unhappy and everything else seems fine, it probably isn't anything to worry about. But have a chat with the GP or MCHN to see what they think.

My DD has not had eczema or blood in her stools. Her stools have always been mucousy (pretty well all mucous really) and usually green. She was having up to 10 explosive poos a day. She has always been unsettled and writhing in pain, and screaming for hours on end. She is unsettled at night - tossing side to side, pulling her legs up and grunting and waking frequently. She often wakes because of wind. She has had poor weight gain and reflux. She had a tongue tie snipped when she was 1.5 weeks, and I have been working on controlling my oversupply since she was a week old.

When I cut out dairy there was a massive improvement almost immediately, and on the occasions when I accidentally had dairy, she went backwards. She is down to 3-4 (still mucousy and often green) stools a day, and is no longer screaming for the majority of the day. She has still been unsettled at night, though her reflux has been well managed with medication, and the oversupply isn't an issue any more. The paed didn't consider intolerances worth further investigating, because she doesn't have eczema or blood in her stools. That said, I'm not going to go back to dairy any time soon because I definitely noticed a difference, and I am trialling no soy to see what happens. I've also noticed that onion seems to cause her a lot of issues.

You could try keeping a food diary, and just jot down next to it what happens with the nappies and bub's behaviour, then review after a couple of weeks and see if there is a pattern?
    How old is bubs Now tiny dancer?