+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Manchester Attack

I know the last thread was closed but I'm interested in others opinions so hopefully we can have an appropriate chat here.

I'm interested to know what people think of the continuous coverage. I feel like it is exactly what these extremists want. I know the media can't ignore it but surely constant footage just fuels fear and judgement.

I'm dreading hearing about the deceased, I know it will likely be a young demographic which I think just adds to the tragedy. I also can't begin to imagine how the parents/ carers are feeling many still unable to contact their kids.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I agree. The media coverage is exactly what the terrorists are hoping for ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Manchester Attack

I agree, I think the continuous coverage is quite macabre and feeds into what the extremists want which is for us all to be terrified and divided.

I could understand if there were constant updates coming out from authorities and it was an ongoing crisis but for example today on the morning shows they kept showing the same footage and repeating themselves over and over. I found it in poor taste. It's like you can almost see the big studio bosses behind the scenes drooling and going let's milk this as long as we can to get ratings. Once you've given the facts and expressed your sympathy and sadness what is the point in going on and on and speculating wildly? How does that help the victims or their families?
    Last edited by Mama Mirabelle; 23-05-2017 at 18:32.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (23-05-2017),SuperGranny  (24-05-2017),Tiny Dancer  (23-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just said the same thing to DH. I wasn't sure if it was just me thinking it. I felt like they could do a quick update on the hour and we wouldn't have missed out.

Sadly I guess in this day and age we kind of "expect" constant coverage.

Constantly showing those poor kids screaming and clambering over each other helps absolutely nobody!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (23-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I must be the only one who hasn't seen the footage. I don't watch the news or morning shows, and have only seen what I have read on FB from friends and articles. I haven't watched the footage on the articles as I don't want those images in my head. The thought that is bad enough without the reality . But I agree rolling footage is too much. It's one reason I don't watch the news anymore - a lot of it feels gratuitous and for ratings like Mama Mirabelle said.

I just don't understand why they have targeted an event aimed at teenage girls. I know it's for maximum impact etc, but it's just......heartless. These kids have had no involvement in the war, nor have they made decisions to bomb/invade other countries. They are just kids. It's just horrifying and I can't imagine how the parents would be feeling. Must be horrible waiting for news if yours is one of the survivors.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (23-05-2017),mummymaybe  (23-05-2017),SuperGranny  (24-05-2017),Tiny Dancer  (23-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what you're saying re: continuous footage, but on the other hand, if it was mentioned once in the news and then never again, wouldn't it completely underplay the seriousness of what happened?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I just don't understand why they have targeted an event aimed at teenage girls. I know it's for maximum impact etc, but it's just......heartless. These kids have had no involvement in the war, nor have they made decisions to bomb/invade other countries. They are just kids. It's just horrifying and I can't imagine how the parents would be feeling. Must be horrible waiting for news if yours is one of the survivors.
    The reason they targeted teenage girls is because teenage girls are completely innocent. They want to try and do what we would think is unthinkable and simply horrifying. The terrorists want each and everyone of us to feel unsafe during seemingly normal activities. Terrorists don't have hearts, they are blinded by their own hate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    I know what you're saying re: continuous footage, but on the other hand, if it was mentioned once in the news and then never again, wouldn't it completely underplay the seriousness of what happened?
    I think it would be appropriate if they had updates say every hour or when they had emerging information. I'm not suggesting that this isn't a serious situation or that it doesn't deserve coverage, it's just that what I saw, especially this morning on the morning shows, was very off putting. On studio 10 they literally kept repeating themselves and it was gratuitous and so obviously for ratings. It felt very disrespectful and I turned the TV off because I felt like in a bizarre way they were actually excited about the prospect of a 'big new story' and all the sympathy seemed very fake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I think it would be appropriate if they had updates say every hour or when they had emerging information. I'm not suggesting that this isn't a serious situation or that it doesn't deserve coverage, it's just that what I saw, especially this morning on the morning shows, was very off putting. On studio 10 they literally kept repeating themselves and it was gratuitous and so obviously for ratings. It felt very disrespectful and I turned the TV off because I felt like in a bizarre way they were actually excited about the prospect of a 'big new story' and all the sympathy seemed very fake.
    True, but honestly they are like that with any big news story, they shove it down your throat continuously.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (23-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't watch it. I don't watch the news as a general rule, and my tv has not been turned on today, nor will it be. This is huge and needs to be in the news, but there's no reason that tv programmes can't be interrupted with breaking news for updates instead of playing the same distressing videos and images over and over and over again.
    When I was younger someone we knew was involved in a tragic workplace accident. That person passed away. Seeing repeated footage of someone you know in an injured state being played on the news over and over is horrific. Ever since then I have refused to partake in the continuous watching of someone else's horror/pain/sadness (I didn't watch Princess Diana's funeral for the same reason).