+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Bedtime Battles - Help

DD will be 4 in August. Getting her to sleep is really starting to be a battle.

On non-daycare days, she is sound asleep by 7.30-8.00 at the latest.

On daycare days, she doesn't even look like sleep til after 8.30 and sometimes it is as late as 10pm. This is too late for her and it is really impacting on me. I work full time and therefore I have no down time at all if she is still awake at 10.

I dropped the day naps a long time ago when she is at home, but daycare still have to let them have rest. She usually only sleeps for 20 minutes (according to the daily book). I am not sure if that is the only thing to make the difference.

Our routine is pretty much the same every night, though we are a bit more rushed and dinner is a bit later on daycare nights. I also know she takes longer to settle down, so I try to have a longer bath, read a longer book and take longer with cuddles etc.

Happy to elaborate if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you ask daycare to drop the nap? If DS has a nap now at nearly 4.5 he will not go to sleep before 10pm, it is a nightmare. Whereas if he has a big day he can go to sleep as early as 7pm and still sleep through until 7:30am.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (22-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could you ask daycare to give her a quiet activity instead of a nap? DD dropped her day nap completely by about 3.5yo and our daycare would give the non-nap kids something they can do quietly by themselves on the mats. Maybe that will help?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (22-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, you said she's up late but is she up and about the house or is she in her room mucking around?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (22-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I've tried to get daycare to drop the nap. They get her to 'rest' but she usually falls asleep. I'll talk to them again.

She is in her room, mostly having a party with her soft toys. She isn't being destructive or anything, she just isn't tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD went through a phase like that. As long as she stayed in her room we just let her be. You can't really force her to go to sleep but maybe you could have a rule that she has to stay on her bed? And just have books and a couple of not-too-exciting toys in her room that won't have her entertained for hours. She might get bored and fall asleep!

I'm certainly no expert, my almost 3yo DS is a terrible sleeper, he's sometimes up for 3 hours in the middle of the night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're coming up to 4 but DD can 'read' books & do puzzles in her bed then turn out her light when she's ready. She can't come out, though that hasn't presented itself yet. Left to her own devices, she'll flick the light around 9.15, so not dealing with such late nights but once we've done bedtime routine, we are kind of clear to get on with our evening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is 4 in a few weeks and has been like this since he dropped his nap at 2.5. I've had to be really firm with daycare about not letting him nap. It's much better now he's in the Kindy room where quiet time is still 'active' (reading books etc).

I have read the daycare worker's 'side' in a blog where one was saying that they know the parents said no nap but their kid is so tired and needs sleep, so I've really made sure to spell it out that a nap means he gets less sleep total, since he goes to sleep so late.

Even without a nap, Ds is usually awake til 9-9.30. We put him to bed at 8 when his 9yo sister goes to bed and he just quietly plays in his room. Again, we're pretty strict on the staying in his room thing otherwise he's endlessly out in the lounge and we get no downtime.

I've contemplated looking at his diet, but DD reacts to MSG and, as well as being unable to sleep at night, she goes super hyper/cranky. He's not like that at all, just seems to need less sleep!