+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default After school care

Can someone tell me about how after school care works.
    Im having trouble finding a job that fits into school hours and have been thinking about after school care. It could give me more flexibility with work hours.
    How much does it cost? I dont see the point if it costs more than wat i would earn. What hours can u use them?
    Anything you could tell me would help.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    At our primary school, after school care is located on the school grounds. Kids make their own way there in the afternoon. They are signed in by carers. If a child doesn't turn up, parents are phoned. The OSHC carers go to the prep classrooms and pick them up. Kids are given afternoon tea and they have activities set out. Eg they get out sporting equipment, have a homework club and carers supervise homework, sometimes they do some cooking, go to the school playground (supervised). Some kids are signed into OHSC and then go to school extension activities and back to OHSC.

Ours runs from after school until 6pm.

Costs - I *think* full fees for after school care are around the $20 mark per afternoon, but the usual centrelink CCR and CCB childcare rules apply. Eg sliding scale of fees depending on income, plus 50% of out of pocket costs back capped at $7500 per annum.

Before school care is the same as above. Costs are around the $16 mark per morning. Can drop off from 6.30 am. Carers take the preps to classrooms. Older kids make their own way.

FWIW I had DD at before school care for 5 mornings per week and 2 afternoons per week last year. I was out of pocket about $50 per week, but I do have a lowish income. It is much cheaper than full time childcare.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 22-05-2017 at 17:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I pay $19.20 for before school (730 - 9:15) per day and 24 for afters (3:15 - 6) per day. We also get CCR so we only pay half.

My DD loves going and always gets up me if I pick her up too early

Thanks
    Reviews
    At DD's school, after school care is provided onsite from 3:00pm to 7:00pm.

It costs $29 a session for a regular booking, $33 for a casual booking. So, if you work a casual job you can call and book your child in when you get your roster instead of needing to have certain days booked.

You can claim Child Care Rebate / Child Care Benefit for the fees.

You can pick your child up at any time before 7pm Afternoon tea is provided as well as structured activities, rest time and opportunities to do homework.

DD doesn't use it at this stage but others in her class do, and they absolutely love it. It's like a big play date after school!

Good luck with your search for work, if you need to use care I'm sure your kids will love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our school is 315pm to 615pm $21 a session less your rebate. Afternoon tea supplied and activities are set out. Depending on what year our kids are in the carers know those that have homework to do. The kids have 5 mins to get ther if not a calm is made and they head to the playground to look. The teachers are informed who has oshc in their classes

Thanks
    Reviews
    At our kids primary school it was $21 a session per kid. Hours were until 6pm. I find by primary years kids are well and truly over OSHC (and no one in year 6 attends OSHC at our primary school), but it's an easy enough solution for a 9-5 worker. I only used it for a year. As a shift worker it was a nightmare, and our school OSHC is full so you needed to enrol them on set days to get a spot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our BSC/ASC is on school grounds. In the earlier years they are collected from their classrooms by the OSHC leaders and in later years they make their way there themselves. They are given an afternoon snack and you can opt to join the homework group, where they will ensure the kids do their homework (my ds1 just does his spelling words there, we do reading and mathletics at home).

They play games and have some structured activities until pick up. Last week when i picked up ds was doing the beep test with a bunch of others (his choice!), some were playing with a massive pile of lego on the floor, others playing monopoly. Ds really enjoys it and has met many kids from other years by going so I feel he has gained a lot socially.

Ds1 goes 1 morning and 1 afternoon a week. For some reason I had not received an invoice for this at all this year so I enquired last week and it had been an oversight. They sent it to me and I only owed $111 for the year to date. It's nothing like my daycare fees for my little two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you mind if I jump in & ask what happens when the after school care is off site? How do you know your kids get to the bus safely?

Sorry to hijack OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeahYeah View Post
    Do you mind if I jump in & ask what happens when the after school care is off site? How do you know your kids get to the bus safely?

Sorry to hijack OP.
    Our school has an on-site OSHC but a number of kids also go to an off-site one. They all meet at a designated spot in the undercover area/stop drop go area and when their bus arrives, they have a roll with all names which are marked off by the carer picking them up. Carer (or teacher on duty) then walks them to the bus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeahYeah View Post

Sorry to hijack OP.
    I've had this setup three times (more common in the country), one used a mini bus, two walked.

In both cases a staff member arrived at the school with a list and did not leave until they had everyone on the list. The preps would get collected at their classroom and the others would meet at a set meeting point (archway, table, pergola etc). Never had any issues and, having taught at two of these schools, never heard of kids being missed.