+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Where do you send flowers when someone dies - the family's home or to the funeral.

Hi Ihave limited experience with death so wanted opinions about where to send flowers the family's home or the funeral?

The other question is do you think flowers are the best way to send condolences?

I am on a committee and I am organising the flowers/gift, for the family of an older person, who has sadly passed away. Back in the day they were a big contributer to our community.

Just after what other people's thoughts are?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think either is ok. And would be appreciated by the deceased persons family. Often people don't know what to say to someone who's grieving, and flowers are a lovely gesture. If you know the family well, maybe a card too. I don't know what formal etiquette is, and honestly, when I went through this I just noticed people's kindness.

When my Mum passed away, a few mourners had flowers delivered to her funeral and we dispalyed them on a small table near her coffin (we had flowers on her coffin too). A good friend bought me a lovely rose to plant in my garden, Mum loved roses.
    Last edited by LlamaMa; 22-05-2017 at 15:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know what the correct etiquete is in these situations. It probably wouldn't matter where you send them.

When my grandmother died, lots of people sent flowers to my mum. The house became a sea of flowers, but mum really loved getting each and every bunch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When our son was stillborn we received a large amount of flowers at hospital and the first week we got home.

The most meaningful flowers we got came about 3 weeks later and the card said something along the lines of "please know we are still thinking of you". Most people had gone back to normal life and we felt very isolated and this gesture meant so so much.

So I always wait a couple of weeks now and then send flowers with a similar message.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

CookingMonster  (22-05-2017),siansmum  (23-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If she played a large part in the community is there a local charity you can donate the price of flowers to? Then just send a cArd and a note to say what you've done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    When our son was stillborn we received a large amount of flowers at hospital and the first week we got home.

The most meaningful flowers we got came about 3 weeks later and the card said something along the lines of "please know we are still thinking of you". Most people had gone back to normal life and we felt very isolated and this gesture meant so so much.

So I always wait a couple of weeks now and then send flowers with a similar message.
    Yes, I agree with mummymaybe. When our daughter passed away, we were sent so many beautiful flowers (my MIL had to go and buy more vases!) People also sent flowers to the church on the day of her funeral (5 years ago today actually), and because she was cremated, we brought all the flowers home.

I distinctly remember the day I threw away the last of the fresh flowers at home. I went out to the garden waste bin and cried as I threw the wilted arrangement in. I was so sad to have no more beautiful flowers in the house, and it was like it was telling me that life had to 'get back to normal' now . Not that there'd ever be 'normal' in our family ever again.

As I went inside, the doorbell rang and it was a courier with a brand new magnificent arrangement. The friends who had sent them, said in the card that they waited a few weeks to send flowers because they knew that we'd have so many in the initial weeks, but would need some later on. They were so right, and those beautiful flowers brought a smile to my face that day.

So, I'd wait if I was you. Maybe send them at the 3-4 week mark. They'll be truly appreciated.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

FarmMumma  (24-05-2017),Mum-I-Am  (24-05-2017),YeahYeahYeah  (23-05-2017)