+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default question about sacked educator at daycare

so i'm hoping to get opinions and a bit more info on how things work in relation to disciplinary actions with educators at daycare.

it was announced some time ago that the lead educator of ds' room at daycare was being moved to a sister centre closer to her home. then nothing happened, we continued to see her in the room every day etc. when i asked the centre director when she was leaving (so we could get her a little farewell gift and card), we were told there wasn't a fixed date as it wasn't known. i asked to be told so that we have a chance for ds to say goodbye etc. fast forward to friday and the centre's weekly email newsletter arrives and announces the educator has finished up effective of friday.

i texted another mum from ds' room to ask what she thought and she called me back and tells me this story about what happened. so apparently another parent was walking past the room and saw this educator "mistreating" a child. apparently she was putting the child to sleep and was holding the child's head down. unless the parent was in the room, the windows that look into the room are all a fair distance away, meaning there's scope for margin for error with what the parent saw. the parent apparently reported this to the centre director who brushed it off. the parent has gone to the department (of education? not sure what department governs childcare) and the educator has been sacked. i'm pretty dubious on the details as it seems really sketchy and odd. but the educator is supposedly now without a job, so clearly something has gone on.

for those familiar with the industry, is it really that easy to get sacked? i mean, on the strength of one witness account? to me it just seems really unfair on the educators. it's basically someone's word against another's, with the balance of power firmly in the parents corner.

does it sound like there might be more to it?

obviously i'm powerless in this situation and nothing i can do to change the outcome of what has happened. but i'm curious as to how the industry works re disciplinary action on educators.

for the record, i'm struggling to get my head around this being true. this educator is great, we love her and she's been amazing for ds (esp with getting him to eat). i'm someone who always trusts my gut instinct about people and never once did i get a nasty vibe from her. she's old school sure, but the kids respect her and she means business. she's got that old fashioned mary poppins no nonsense brand of love about her. never once would i ever pick her for being violent towards a child or hurting them/being forceful.

really keen to hear any kind of info or similar stories if you have them. thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I have had contact with the department (I wasn't the person in question) and they do a really in depth job when checking up on a claim. It's not just someone's word type of thing.

Is it possible she quit? I know I wouldn't want to keep working somewhere that a parent made an accusation against me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (21-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No id hightly doubt that she would get fired over that. A parent can't just ring up and then you get fired, it's something that gets looked into thoroughly and many people would be interviewed.

Years and years ago we had an incident at daycare where a child was left in her cot for the whole day. When the grandparent came to collect her they didn't know where she was. No body got fired - we were all interviewed- even the director I forget who interviewed us all? Maybe docs ?
    A parent also accused a room leader for smacking a child on the head, she investigated for that but I don't know who from.

If the educator has had a few red marks on her name she could have been told to go though. I really think there must be more to the story.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reneeharry For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (21-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks ladies. yeah that's my thoughts too. just seems really harsh to get let go over a he said, she said incident. esp where it's a question of subjective interpretation and perception rather than objective and factual evidence.

i'm thinking there must be more to it too, or someone's got the facts wrong. or she just had a few black marks to her name already and this has been the icing on the cake. the person who told me is going to speak to the centre director tomorrow (not sure what that will achieve as i doubt the director will divulge sensitive staff info to a third party) so i'll see what she tells me came of that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (22-05-2017)