+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to mix feed?

My ds2 is 6 weeks old. I really really dislike breastfeeding and am thinking of mix feeding him after a few weeks more of breastfeeding. I have no idea how to mix feed though, is there a better way to do it? Any advice welcome.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I bottle fed my first. I used to give her all my expressed milk first then formula

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Em9  (21-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had supply issues, so mixed fed both of mine. With my 1st I always 'topped up' each feed with a bottle after breastfeeding. This was to try to build my supply and was not great, as it's really hard to get a bottle ready while feeding!

With my 2nd, I was put into high dose motilium after a few days when it was obvious I had supply issues again. This meant I was making enough milk after about a week of taking them. I topped up initially while my supply built. I could have then chosen to drop formula, since I had enough milk, but I loathe pumping and I liked that he would take a bottle, so I swapped 1-2 feeds a day for a formula bottle. He was demand feeding about 2hrly, so still 10-11 breastfeeds as well.

I usually did an evening feed and kept the other one random. Once he got a bit older and spaced his feeds out a bit I did the bottle at the same time each day so my boobs knew what to expect.

I loved mix feeding 2nd time around. I hated breastfeeding my DD but with DS, I think because I put myself under no pressure to breastfeed, I knew I could stop, I actually almost enjoyed it. I mixed fed him for 10 months until swapping to 100% formula.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Em9  (22-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Interested to hear what others say. I'm currently mix feeding at the moment.
    DD is almost 8 weeks old, I have supply issues. DD had a undiagnosed tongue tie until 6 weeks and I have low glandular tissue. DD had very slow weight gains and only got to birth weight at 5 weeks.
    At moment DD has 1 bottle of an evening but she's becoming fussy over the last week so some feeds I've had to do an extra top up here and there.
    Would love to continue to breastfeed but feel like it's a battle I'm starting to lose. @Em9 would you consider pumping to give ds bottles?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefull29 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (22-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is almost 8 weeks old, I have supply issues. DD had a undiagnosed tongue tie until 6 weeks and I have low glandular tissue. DD had very slow weight gains and only got to birth weight at 5 weeks.
    At moment DD has 1 bottle of an evening but she's becoming fussy over the last week so some feeds I've had to do an extra top up here and there.
    Would love to continue to breastfeed but feel like it's a battle I'm starting to lose. @Em9 would you consider pumping to give ds bottles?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefull29 View Post
    Yep I pump atleast one feed a day atm. I am thinking I will probably only bf until 3 months this time around, I really don't enjoy it and was happy when I gave it up with ds1. Dh isn't around atm as he is working flat out but I may feel a bit better about it when he is home. Then he can give the expressed bottle to the baby rather than me. I think expressing each feed wouldn't work, it's too time consuming by the time it's all done. If I had a hands free pump it would be a different story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Em9 you've gotta do what's best for you, if you hate it that much well done for getting as far as you have with it!
    I hate hate hate pumping so I've given that up, it is so time consuming and I made the decision I'd rather enjoy DD more and spend the time i was spending pumping cuddling and playing with her. At the start I had to pump after each feed so I felt like I was missing out on her as by the time I'd pump she was sound asleep and then I'd just have to feed again as soon as she woke up then do it all again. Was missing out on those snuggles without her being attached to my boob.
    Will you gradually wean onto formula or just stop breastfeeding and go fully to formula straight up? Do you know if there Is there a risk of mastitis if you just suddenly stop breastfeeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Em9 you've gotta do what's best for you, if you hate it that much well done for getting as far as you have with it!
    I hate hate hate pumping so I've given that up, it is so time consuming and I made the decision I'd rather enjoy DD more and spend the time i was spending pumping cuddling and playing with her. At the start I had to pump after each feed so I felt like I was missing out on her as by the time I'd pump she was sound asleep and then I'd just have to feed again as soon as she woke up then do it all again. Was missing out on those snuggles without her being attached to my boob.
    Will you gradually wean onto formula or just stop breastfeeding and go fully to formula straight up? Do you know if there Is there a risk of mastitis if you just suddenly stop breastfeeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I mix feed and have from very early due to latch and supply issues. At first I'd alternate breast and bottle feeds as well as pump milk and now my DS is almost 5 months I just do formula and express only enough for one feed a day. Just play around and find what works for you. I think if you don't like breastfeeding you may not like pumping though as it makes you feel like a jersey cow some days lol...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to mix feed?

@mrsh1984 how long pumping does it take you to get enough for 1 feed?

ETA also do you pump at the same time each day?