+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much storage space do you need for a baby?

Following on from my 'baby in a one bedroom apartment' thread - I was wondering how much storage space (draws/shelving/cupboards etc) did you need/use for a young baby (under 12 months)?

We have decided to stay put in our little place, so now trying to work out how to squeeze baby into our bedroom. I guess a chest of drawers is plenty for clothes, but once you factor in all the other bits and pieces (which I haven't bought yet so hard to judge), not sure what will be enough.

I have cleared out a corner of the bedroom, now wondering what will be the most efficient way to set it up before I start buying random items of furniture.

This is the space we have to work with:

IMG_1495282540.753552.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ikea have some great inspiration ideas

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Storage Boxes

Boxes...you could fit lots of boxes in this space...ie singlets ..onsies...nappies ...blankets ..etc.

Just buy the basics ...you dont need much as you wash as you go.

If you have room under the bed then that is another place you can store storage boxes.

A small book shelf is also handy to store items...as is a movable good quality change mat..easy to store. You will also need compact bath unless you have a big sink or laundry tub.

I would get a bassinet to start with unless your room is wide or big then a smaller cot...you can a ways sell and get more furniture.

Only other thing very useful is an baby activity mat...you can put it on bed or floor.

We bought basics when we were in our apartment but found a lot of items you dont need after 1 and i sold them...ie baby walkers or cars take up room and some babies dont like them.

Hope this helps.

Butterfly

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMG_1495323016.110750.jpg

IMG_1495323031.401641.jpg

We have the IKEA flat pack cupboard for DD next to our built in cupboard in our room. It has been perfect for her clothes, sleeping bags, shoes, nappies etc.

You can configure it in many different ways. We went with two deep drawers at the bottom with cupboard on top and extra wire drawers inside. We also have two storage boxes on top of the wardrobe for clothes she's yet to grow into.

Anything she outgrows I put into space bags (to save for her sibling).

We also set her up a little play area in our living room. The little storage cupboard is good, along with the Kmart storage bag. (Think originally it was labelled as a clothes hamper?)

IMG_1495323118.901035.jpg

In your little space, I'd try to fit a freestanding storage unit underneath the first shelf. Either a small cupboard or a storage unit with boxes. Oh the fixed shelves themselves I'd add in some storage boxes which could be used for nappies, sheets etc.

Stokke make a fold up portable bath, if you don't have a suitable bathing area.

We utilise the space under our couch for extra storage. Our portacot fits underneath it perfectly!

I'll come back with any more ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMG_1495323826.879768.jpg

Our change area in our bathroom / laundry. The mat is the Leander Matty. It has a wooden base which was the most perfect fit for the space. Is very stable. It's waterproof and doesn't need a cover on top.

Also, a storage system with tubs next to the washing machine. Holds baby's washing in top, extra nappies in middle, and our washing on the bottom.

IMG_1495324090.011183.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its mainly floor space thats the issue i reckon. Baby clothes etc can fit in yr draws. Can you remove those shelves and put bassinette there ? I had a bassinette on a stand with wheels. It was great. Change table can be a change table cushion on the bed or floor. No need for the actual stand. Plastic tub for nappies wipes and baby products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If your bed has space underneath get some underbed storage boxes. I have some under the cot. It can hold blankets, wraps, sheets, towels and spare nappies/wipes.

Keep clothes to a minimum and keep current size and one size up in cupboard/drawers. If you have bigger sizes, store them in vacuum bags.