+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simil View Post

1) If my one single embie is affected by my condition and not balanced therefore it can't be transferred, will they still charge me for a full cycle? If not, will I still pay a large % of the cycle cost?
    Just on this - you will have to pay the full cycle fee even if there is *no* embryo created, ie egg can't be retrieved, or doesn't fertilise.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default A few IVF questions from a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post

Ps I've never read much abour IVF messing up natural fertility. But would you even be looking to go back to this anyway?

A natural cycle is far too much money riding on one egg that might not even fertilise. In your costings, have you also factored in the private hospital fees, anesthetist, cost of time off work etc for multiple egg collections when you might only need the one medicated cycle to get lots of eggs for testing?
    I would like the opportunity to go back to this if IVF doesnt work out for me in the end. At the end of the day, no amount of pain is going to stop me from trying to have a baby one way or another. Trying naturally has worked out for me in regards to my translocation alone, it just happens that we got unlucky with a random chromosomal micro-duplication.

I assumed that the fees listed on the clinics website include all of those additional costs..ie the clinic fees relating to the ivf cycle, anesthesia in the cycle itself. Time off work wont be an issue for me..

The thing is a lot of people with chromosomal translocations may end up doing a full medicated cycle and not get any balanced eggs in the end. I think ultimately I will do a medicated cycle but I am just not sure If I should jump straight into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Simil, you might want to double check the fees. For the clinic I went to the website fee is just the cost paid to the clinic, anaesthetists and hospital fees are on top of that.

I agree with the pps that a medicated cycle is probably more cost effective as you don't usually get anything back because it doesnt work. You can discuss having a low dosed cycle just to get a few more eggs? Mine was relatively conservative dose and had no noticeable side effects.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkentofu For This Useful Post:

Simil  (21-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also another point about fees; although we were out of pocket around $4k for the cycle fee, we had to pay the full cost (nearly $9k) upfront before claiming back from Medicare. PHI covered the hospital and anaesthetist fees, but there were still hundreds of $$$ in medication costs which were also not included in the clinic costs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbletrouble For This Useful Post:

Simil  (21-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Simil View Post

I assumed that the fees listed on the clinics website include all of those additional costs..ie the clinic fees relating to the ivf cycle, anesthesia in the cycle itself. Time off work wont be an issue for me..

Unfortunately not. They will just be the actual clinic fees. Even the FS fees are likely to be separate to this (or were for me, anyway). Hospital fees for the pick up are separate, as are anesthetist fees (if you have PHI, it may cover some or all of hospital and anesthetist though).

FWIW, i think a natural cycle would be just as emotionally draining as a medicated one. Sure, you wouldn't have the injections, but it will be stressful either way. For me, i didn't really feel any different during a cycle ( though of course not all women are that lucky), and i felt completely back to normal, cycle-wise, pretty much straight away. I would chat to the FS you go with about any risks and benefits of medicated cycles. For me, at least, they were nothing to be afraid of.

I just wanted to say, too, that I'm really sorry for what you're going through 😕 i hope you get clear answers you feel you can make decisions based on soon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Simil  (21-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.. lots to consider.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have chromosomal problems and was advised by well meaning GPs to keep trying naturally, which I did because I kept getting pregnant easily - but they all resulted in miscarriages and then it became too late - even ivf could not help, and now I'm trying donor eggs. Some FSs will over stimulate - I know of someone who at almost 40 who ended up with 30 Crap eggs. You don't want to do that. I'm no expert, but find someone with a good track record to guide you and who will go gently on you too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chmeille For This Useful Post:

Simil  (22-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok. I think after some further reading ill jump straight into a medicated cycle and hope for this best. Thanks everyone

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Simil For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (23-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hoping your news means you won't be needing the ivf cycle. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed xxx

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

bubbletrouble  (23-05-2017),Simil  (23-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bel2466 thank you.. ❤️but i think for number two (hopefully) i will go down the ivf path regardless to avoid going through this again.