+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Overseas job wwyd?

DH is currently based locally for work but goes away a lot. This away work is unpredictable, there is no routine to it, it's often short notice and for long periods of time (1-2 months at a time) with no breaks to come home at all during a stint. Across the whole year he's probably away for about 5 months but that's concentrated in a 9 month period so it's pretty intense. And when he gets back from a huge stint away he gets no break and has to go straight back to local work. That's pretty taxing on all of us.
    He's been approached about an offshore job that is 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off and significantly more money than he currently earns (as in $100k more than his current base salary).
    We are currently debating whether he should pursue this. The perks are that it's a regular swing and he'll be home with ddfor half the time. I can restructure my work such that I do less while he's gone and more while he's home so I'd be able to drop dd from 3 days to 2 days at childcare. Plus the extra money is a bonus.
    The things we are worried about is he will be committing to being away for half of DDs young years. There might be a negative impact on our relationship that so many fifo families go through. If he lost the offshore job I'm not sure how easy it would be for him to get another job locally.
    But a lot of the risks are things we are facing with his current job anyway. But at least I usually have him home consistently from November to March.
    I am very conservative when it comes to these kinds of decisions and the risks scare me. So I'm keen to hear what others would do in this situation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it were me, i would say go for the FIFO job. Any job is unpredictable and not guaranteed and at least you could have some sort of structure in place.
    I would think that the way his work is currently structured would have more of a negative impact on your relationship and home life due to never being able to make commitments and the constant short notice etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (20-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would go for it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would do it in a heartbeat. Save the extra money for the first 12 months so you have a buffer just in case...but oh yes, I would do it in an instant. Two weeks on/off is a good deal, especially if he's off for the two weeks he is home. He'll get more quality time with your DD.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yep I would go for it.

predictability in being away is much better than just 'up and go' type of thing.

and the 2 weeks off he would get to spend with family so he wouldnt miss her growing up

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DF does 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off and it works well for us at the moment. A local job that had no travel would be better though! If your DH is away a lot anyway, then I'd say go for it to give you that consistency in terms of knowing when he will/won't be home. Having a partner at home and not working for periods of time is amazing too, when DF is home he does all the daycare / school drop offs, pickups, cooking, cleaning etc, on the days I work 🏼

Is it in a very dangerous country? That is the only part that might put me off.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Go for it. It sounds like he would actually be around more as when he's home, he's home. Not being away for 2-3 weeks and then straight back to normal work. I've got a few FIFO wives as friends, and it is an adjustment, but it can work really well. So if he's keen on the job, I'd let him go if it was my family. Good luck with the decision!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    how far is offshore? i'd certainly consider an offshore change if the location wasn't crazy distance. dh has actually had something come up based in singapore for 6 months and i've encouraged him to go for it. yes it's overseas but it's a 5 hour flight to perth where my family lives and it's not a crazy time difference. i think a move to like the U.K. would be much tougher because everyone is literally on the other side of the world and things like time difference etc exacerbate the distance.

as others have said too, there's no guarantee with any jobs these days; he could take a local job that seems more secure on face value and it might not work out or situations change and they do a restructure etc and you could still find yourself without a job.

i think it sounds like a great opportunity, much more money, much more routine with his hours/time away, easier for you to work around, he gets to spend more time with your dd etc. to me, it sounds as though your primary hesitation is the fact that it's offshore. if it was a local gig, would it make the decision easier? i reckon it sounds good, he should go for it. no decision is non-reversible anyway; it's an adventure! if it doesn't work out, you can come back.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is all excellent advice. It's good for me to hear you all say do it because I can be too conservative and frightened of change. We'll have another chat about it tonight when dd has gone to bed.
    I agree the predictability would be better than what we currently have and having him spend 2 solid weeks with dd at a time would be great for both of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd do it. Having him home for 2 weeks, every 2 weeks has to be better than 1-2 months at a time and then still working locally. Seems to be a no-brainer to me! Routine, more money, having him home for 2 weeks at a time all are big pluses!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post: