+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default The generation that doesn't hate?

Recently I heard it said on TV that 'we are the generation that doesn't hate'. I can't remember where I heard it... maybe a comedian, maybe a Michael Moore documentary. I'm not sure exactly which generation it referred to - kind od generation Y era. (Maybe late generation X and Millenials included). The idea was that we don't hate a group of minorities based on a single factor anymore. We arent bigots. We don't hate based on race, as our Great-grandparents generation did. We dont hate people based on their sexual preference, as our grandparents (maybe parents?) did. I think hating people based on religion is slowly disappearing. I wonder if it's a true statement? Sometimes I read horrible things on facebook from older people, awful things about religion and sexual preference. I wonder if there are people of our generation who share those views, or if it really is just some of the older generation.

Just musing the whole thing I guess... how do you feel about the statement that 'we are the generation that doesnt hate?' Do you feel like it's true, does it make you feel proud of our generation and how far we as a society have come - or do you feel like we still have a really long way to go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have never thought of it like that, but I do agree to an extent. However there is still a lot of hate from the younger generation, particularly towards muslims at the moment. I think we're the most educated generation which probably helps, as well as having exposure to much more of people's lives through social media. E.g. I went to uni with an Egyptian Muslim girl, and while we'd chat at uni, we never hung out outside of classes or anything. However by being her friend on Facebook, I have learnt so much about her religion and culture and I have become hugely more accepting, not just of her culture, but all cultures other than my own, than I was 8 or 9 years ago when I first met her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    definitely agree. sadly i think there's still a lot of bigotry and hate alive and well. i do hope the tides are in favour of moving away from that though. it sounds as though it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to know if I'm gen x or y, am I the one who doesn't get this, I was under the impression gen x is up until early 80's, so including 81/82, recently I read something where it said gen y is from 1974-1994.
    Anyway that's a whole other thing, I don't think there is less hate, with all the terrible things happening currently in the world, but at the same time I do feel like we are more open minded as opposed to previous generations, with the world being at our fingertips like never before we're in a place where we are able to educate ourselves about our differences, instead of fearing them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (19-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hmmm, I'm not sure, especially not really knowing what generation was referred to. I'm on the cusp of X and Y, depending on what you count as the cut off. Just going off of people I know, I think X is probably the more open minded, they have a good mix of knowledge past and present and I have always just associated them as the 'cooler' more open minded generation. Y and millennials I feel usually have a bit more entitlement in them and although they may think they are open minded the entitlement can get in the way. Not sure if that makes sense!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (19-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I would love to know if I'm gen x or y, am I the one who doesn't get this, I was under the impression gen x is up until early 80's, so including 81/82, recently I read something where it said gen y is from 1974-1994.
    Anyway that's a whole other thing, I don't think there is less hate, with all the terrible things happening currently in the world, but at the same time I do feel like we are more open minded as opposed to previous generations, with the world being at our fingertips like never before we're in a place where we are able to educate ourselves about our differences, instead of fearing them.
    Yes, I've never heard of Y starting as early as 74 but usually some think X ends at 79 or 80 and others say it ends before 85.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 19-05-2017 at 23:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (19-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks @HollyGolightly81, I'm right on the cusp as well, but definitely agree with what you said about gen x and y, and feel I belong in gen x.
    On a side note, dd came home from school the other day and said- hey what are you mum, I'm generation 'z'
    Last edited by sparklebug; 20-05-2017 at 00:47.

Thanks
    Reviews

Double post
    Last edited by sparklebug; 19-05-2017 at 23:32.