+ Reply to Thread
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Fidget Spinners

does your child have 1 ?

My daughter got one recently - loves it. School hasnt banned them yet - but may well do if it starts being disruptive.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/perth-retailers-recall-popular-fidget-spinner-toy-20170518-gw87dk.html

this article talks about them being a danger - but is pretty light on details.

"The main issues under consideration is that these fidget spinners have small parts and, more concerning in some cases, appear to contain button batteries that can in some cases easily be dislodged presenting the risk of serious injury or even death for young children if swallowed," Mr Hillyard said.

I dont think many of them have a battery - certainly the one DD has doesnt. And yes, if you pull it apart it has small parts (little ball bearings etc) ... but surely that doesnt mean they should be banned? lots of things have small parts

so I am a bit confused about the supposed safety issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both my DDs have a couple each.

I get they can be pulled apart, but surely you wouldn't leave them with a child that didn't know not to put a foreign body in their mouth. My DDs are 9 and 12.

It is like the Facebook post being shared around today about the 10 year old who pulled it apart and swallowed one of the metal parts....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 5yo has one in his "red beast box" (a box of calm down strategies used when he's having a meltdown). My other two don't and won't ever have one. It won't be long before our school bans them anyway, the number of kids with them during class is just ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had no idea what they were or their existence until the other bh thread. However, now that I know what they are, I see them everywhere now!

None of my kids have one, but none have mentioned them, so I have a feeling they don't know they exist either?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd asked me yesterday why everyone else has one but she doesn't, it's her first year at school so first fad thing. The newsletter said they aren't banned but expected to be put away in class and they're facing a lot of kids being 'emotionally hijacked' at the thought of putting it away or if lost/misplaced so encouraging parents to discuss with their children.

My mum and I went to a local theatre production last night and the 5 teens in front of us had them. They were playing with them during the show at one stage and it was almost hypnotic, I struggled to stay focused on the show as I was watching it spin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DH bought one for DS the other day.

He's not allowed to take it to school though. DS has ASD and is in a support class at school, so he's already got access to sensory aids on a daily basis. He's doing really well in class, so we don't want to introduce something that could be an interruption to his learning.